Images of naked kids in Google search results

(3 Posts)
Brightsi5 Sat 31-Aug-13 14:56:02

Earlier today, I did a search for the circus performer David O'Mer, using his stage name 'bath boy' and was horrified to get a page full of images of naked children in bathtubs on Google. I hindsight, I should have added his name to the search!!

I guess that some images of bodies are useful for medical students, etc, but I do worry that it is so easy for people to access large numbers of images of completely nude children. I had a look around Google's support pages and their attitude seems to be 'we just show what's out there, if you don't like something, contact the website owner' and they only seem concerned about images of sexual activity with kids. You can't complain about a whole category of images, only specific ones, so I couldn't submit a complaint to Google about this, and would imagine they would just reject it if I did.

It's a difficult one as excessive censorship can be counter productive and criminalise reasonable activity, but it just doesn't seem right that you can be presented by a mass of images of naked children so easily, even when you aren't even seeking these!

Would be interested to hear the thoughts of others on this.

MultipleMama Germany Wed 04-Sep-13 00:03:26

You have to think though that google is a search engine not an actual website. Most images you see on google are from other websites such as flickr and facebook. So to stop that you have to report the source of the photos.

People who upload pictures of their children onto sites run the risk of having those images hosted on search engine images like google.

People need to be careful about what images they upload as not all sites have privacy settings that stop people from taking the photos.

It isn't right, I agree but censoring the who internet isn't going to do anything except piss off a load of people who have the right to view 18+ if they wish. I think making sites more secure, more protected and more monitored is a better solution as it'll crack down on what's posted in the first place.

No matter how much we protest and report unfortunately it'll still be there.

MultipleMama Germany Wed 04-Sep-13 00:08:59

Also I think sites shouldn't even allow people to upload "bath" or "nude" photos of their own children on their accounts because they are, by all accounts, explicit images.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now