11 year old has Facebook account set up by her dad

(42 Posts)
Hyland Mon 29-Jul-13 12:16:47

Can I get this deleted ... Even though her dad set it up, probably so he can keep tabs on my family as we're not together.

My daughter is going I high school in September and if I'm worried about friends looking her up on Facebook. It doesn't set the right image with a scruffy picture on the front screen of when she was 6 or 7.

I also can't keep tabs on it

foxy6 Mon 29-Jul-13 12:21:16

my 9 yr old has Facebook she love it as she goes to a school where most of here friends don't live near her and she can chat with them when at home and arrange to go see them and vise versa. I know her password and regularly check on what she's been uprooted and make sure she factually knows her Facebook friends in person.

frissonpink Mon 29-Jul-13 12:23:16

Well, you have to be 13 to use Facebook, and you're the mother, so of course you can get it deleted confused

You won't be able to physically stop her going on FB though when she's not in your care.

That's a whole other issue. I'd be talking to the Dad for the password.

PinkSippyCup Mon 29-Jul-13 12:24:15

Will he not give you the password/ access to the email account it's been set up from?

Does DD know the password?

foxy6 Mon 29-Jul-13 12:32:09

the problem with deleting face book is that you can't really. I've dryer with ds (14) as a punishment for being naughty. all you can do is deactivate the account but as soon as they try to log in again it activates.

Hyland Mon 29-Jul-13 12:33:36

Her dad won't give me the password for some reason, he's being very unreasonable. In fairness though I would prefer to get it deleted and start it a fresh though because the photo is one of her tied up but all matted and knotty where he didn't use to help her on the weekends. (you should see the clothes he has for her)

I also would like to regular check what she's doing online

frissonpink Mon 29-Jul-13 12:35:46

You need to show your daughter the CEOP website imo.

foxy6 Mon 29-Jul-13 12:36:54

can your daughter tell you her password or does she not know it

Hyland Mon 29-Jul-13 12:37:33

My daughter doesn't know the password which is why I'm also convinced its just away for him to watch over family stuff that really shouldn't concern him. I have told my daughter she isn't allowed on it and I think she has kept her word but high school means that others will automatically look her up and he will accept the requests and it won't aid in her popularity into high school with a profile like that.

MNHarpy Mon 29-Jul-13 12:39:25

I had this problem too, I was furious with her dad. Thankfully, my DD gave me her password, I checked for a couple of hours then a really horrible photo came up on her page, she was a bit shocked I think, so we talked it through and she was happy for me to delete, so maybe have a chat with your DD about getting rid of it?

The other adviceI had was to report the user to Facebook as an under age user (you may need to send a photo of her birth certificate, and they will delete for you.

Hope you get it sorted.

TheFallenNinja Mon 29-Jul-13 12:39:35

Can you just send a better picture to the ex?

Hyland Mon 29-Jul-13 12:40:35

My daughter doesn't mind me deleting it but its her dad that's the problem

LittleBearPad Mon 29-Jul-13 12:41:36

I think focussing on the 'image' your daughter's Facebook page gives her and the impact on her popularity is slightly odd TBH.

There surely are bigger concerns re privacy and Internet safety.

How can she access the page? To do it at your house insist you have the password and make friends with her so you can see what she's up to. Restrict what your ex can see on your own profile etc.

foxy6 Mon 29-Jul-13 12:41:38

if you feel it's just for him to nosey on family you could tell them what has happened and not to accept friend requests from your daughter until she has the password and you and her can take control. or open a new one for her with you having control and get family to befriend her on that one with a nice photo

Hyland Mon 29-Jul-13 12:43:18

He has tons of photos but he doesn't care. I think he likes the fact that it aggravates me and that he set it up even though I asked him to remove it over a year ago!

Plus he won't let me keep an eye on what's going on it

MNHarpy Mon 29-Jul-13 12:47:09

Have you reported it to Facebook?

Hyland Mon 29-Jul-13 12:48:36

They have all deleted him but most of them haven't deleted her. I am the eldest of 8 and my siblings have children and my mum is the oldest of 8 and with their children and family friends that I have known for years it all adds up to a lot of people. Who don't seem to want to delete her, even though she's never on their so clearly it's more for his benefit.

Hyland Mon 29-Jul-13 12:48:59

I don't know how to report it to Facebook

Hyland Mon 29-Jul-13 12:53:25

Maybe setting up a new Facebook account would work if then allow her to send friend request to the existing people requesting they delete the other account on the friends list.

I still don't like the fact that anyone looking her up will see her name with that profile making her look like a homeless person ( I'm really not exaggerating)

Hyland Mon 29-Jul-13 12:58:30

Little bear pad - I do believe my daughter that she doesn't use the account since I asked her not to a year ago.

Which is why my concerns are focused on the other side. I know how cruel bullies can be and seeing as she'll be going to high school I realised I need to get this sorted.

Then I can monitor her usage with a password I know

Click on her profile page, at the top right hand side is the "Message" option and next to it is a "cog" picture/ icon - click on that and you get a drop down menu. One option on the drop down is report/ block - select that and report, stating only that she is under age (give her age), as that is the basis on which it can be deleted.

Crazybit Mon 29-Jul-13 13:04:43

Report it.
Tell them she is underage, and you know this because you are her mum and this account has been set up by someone else.

MNHarpy Mon 29-Jul-13 13:04:50

If you do set up a new account for her (and bear in mind the rules are 13 for a reason) use your email account to link to, not hers. Then you have full access. But really? Does an 11yr old need FB? After what I saw on my 11yo DD's account, I would say not.

lljkk Mon 29-Jul-13 13:06:52

the photo is one of her tied up but all matted and knotty where he didn't use to help her on the weekends. (you should see the clothes he has for her)

you mean her HAIR is tied up, right, not the child is tied up? confused And what's wrong with her clothes?

titchy Mon 29-Jul-13 13:07:44

The OP can't physically log into her dd's account in order to de-activate or report it - that's the problem.

Second the idea of setting up a new FB page which you monitor and asking your family to friend her new page and de-friend the old one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now