Advice son chatting to girl on line

(4 Posts)
Kat397 Sun 28-Jul-13 19:23:47

My 10 year old son has recently attended a summer camp where he is going to secondary school. He has met new friends which includes a girl. He asked could he take his mobile, to get some numbers of his new friends and take some photos and I said yes. I do talk to him a lot about Internet safety and that sort of thing so I feel comfortable with him using iPads, phones etc and I always check and monitor what he is doing. However when checking his phone I found a message from a girl who is a yeah older than my son which was sexually explicit. My son did reply to this message but not really saying much apart "no". I asked my son who she was and we had a good chat about it and asked him to delete her from his phone, which he did. However a day later I found he was trying to get her telephone number and trying other ways to contact her, like BBM and snapchat. I wasn't happy and he now has had all devices and no computer for a week. What can I do to teach him that this isn't right and this girl is far to young herself to be sending these sort if messages? I know that when he goes to secondary school he will come across all sorts, but I scared for him and I want to do the right thing without getting mad. Many thanks x

VBisme Sun 28-Jul-13 19:27:19

An 11 year old girl sending sexually explicit texts? I'm not suprised you're concerned. Was it clear that she understood what she was saying?

Kat397 Sun 28-Jul-13 19:34:28

I'm not sure, it was a message that started like " send 1 for a kiss, 2 for a cuddle and so on with much more explicit requests.

VBisme Sun 28-Jul-13 19:40:12

Well he responded appropriately to her first message, but I can see why you'd be worried about him staying in contact with her.

Just talk to him, explain why it is inappropriate (I expect he's learnt a lot more in the school yard than you think), and keep the lines of communication open.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now