'My sister bought this book for her pansy son...'

(45 Posts)
dreamwriter Sat 01-Jun-13 21:48:38

This is the first line of a reader review of one of my children's books on bullying. The reviewer goes on to say that bullied children are losers who ought to smoke and drink in order to get in with the popular kids. amazon are refusing to take this 'review' down, saying it is neither offensive nor inappropriate. I think their attitude is disgraceful and irresponsible. Please check it out and, if you agree, click 'report as abuse' and then 'report as inappropriate' Thank you so much smile www.amazon.co.uk/review/R21JV40PZC5B9M/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0340911840&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful

chipmonkey Mon 24-Jun-13 00:07:20

A lot of children who are bullied have mild to moderate ASD traits and can take things literally and not get jokes. I have read funny reviews on Amazon before and laughed but people need to be sensitive when reviewing a book on bullying.

duchesse Sun 23-Jun-13 22:59:34

That has to be a mumsnetter writing those surely? One of the reviews by the sameperson includes the words "Kerry Katona's nork".

And this one is funny.

chryssa Sun 23-Jun-13 22:49:54

Dreamwriter I clicked on the link, and it didn't work. I hope this means that the review has been removed? What is the title of the book? As the mum if a very "interesting" little boy I would love to read it with DS1.

dreamwriter Tue 04-Jun-13 19:55:53

Thank you QuintessentialOldDear - amazon's reviewer guidelines do state that you should be reviewing a product and not shouting from a soapbox. tbh I think we're learning that the guidelines are a waste-of-space

I reported the review because it was not really a review just an "in" for the review writer to spout his ill judged opinions.

dreamwriter Sat 01-Jun-13 23:16:41

Well it's not really about my book, Movingtimes - I don't think the review will put people off buying it, because there are plenty of very positive serious reviews from parents whose children have found it useful. I'm outraged that amazon can't see anything wrong with the content of the review, and I know how some of the children who email me would feel if they read it.

Movingtimes Sat 01-Jun-13 23:09:37

Also, dreamwriter, I hadn't realised you were the author. I can imagine I would feel very pissed off with the review if the book were my baby so to speak. It is lovely to see it has helped so many DC on here though.

dreamwriter Sat 01-Jun-13 23:01:43

Shufflehopstep - that's a good point. Will do.

dreamwriter Sat 01-Jun-13 23:00:24

Thank you, Movingtimes. Respect to you.

dreamwriter Sat 01-Jun-13 22:59:08

Thank you Bico - I think a lot of children would feel upset or confused to read this review by an adult on a respected site. I'm delighted your ds found my book helpful. Really chuffed smile

Movingtimes Sat 01-Jun-13 22:57:27

OK, I take your point, but to be honest when I read it I thought it was so obviously a satirical parody of aggressively alpha-male homophobic attitudes that nobody could possibly take it at face value. If you believe that they could, then I can see why you would be upset.

dreamwriter Sat 01-Jun-13 22:56:29

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou - it's lovely to hear that. I had to trawl through masses of books to find some useful ideas that might help my child to handle the bullying, but I was lucky because I had the time and researching stuff is part of my job, so I wanted to make them much more easily accessible to other families. They were life-changing for us, and for the 5-10% of children who get bullied for a prolonged period however highly their school scores on anti-bullying policies (Childline research) I might even go so far as to say they could be life-saving

bico Sat 01-Jun-13 22:56:29

dreamwriter I've reported that post on Amazon, absolutely dreadful. It may be meant as a joke but if ds read that review he would be really upset.

I bought your book for my ds (8) who was going through a difficult time at school recently being bullied by an older boy. I think your book is wonderful. Even though it was a difficult subject to deal with both ds and I found your book amazingly clear and it gave him the tools to deal with his situation at school. He also used the tools to help other children who were being bullied. Thank you.

dreamwriter Sat 01-Jun-13 22:51:30

QuintessentialOldDear - that's irritating, but we get used to taking it on the chin. I've never asked amazon to take down a review before, and it's the content of this one that really offends me. SanityClause - I've never had a bunch of virtual flowers before - I'm sooo happy my book has helped your DD. That's what I wrote it for. Charlie, thank you. Much appreciated

shufflehopstep Sat 01-Jun-13 22:51:19

If you click on the reviewer and read some of their other reviews, this person is clearly a troll who writes ridiculous reviews for their own amusement. Please write this on your complaint if you report them so that they can be identified as such.

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Sat 01-Jun-13 22:50:12

I didn't realise you wrote it either. It's brilliant. I've recommended it to loads of people. Ds got it 2 years ago and now has loads of really lovely friends and no 'so called friends'. He likes who he is now and doesn't try to be someone else.

I LOVE YOU!

thanks

dreamwriter Sat 01-Jun-13 22:48:36

'Homophobia isn't funny. Ever.' Halleluyah to that. Thank you SanityClause for reporting it, and FullOfChoc for telling me you like my book. Smudging, I took a couple of years out of my regular writing to write some books about bullying when one of my own children was bullied at school. It's a serious problem that every adult has a responsibility to take seriously, but many don't unless their own child falls foul of bullies and they understand exactly what it means.

Charlie01234 Sat 01-Jun-13 22:46:42

Done

SanityClause Sat 01-Jun-13 22:45:50

Wow, dreamwriter I misunderstood your post. I didn't realise you are the author.

This book is fabulous.

It has really helped my DD, and I have recommended it to others.

Thank you to you for writing it. flowers

The joke is accompanied by only ONE star, so highly unfunny for the author, I would say.

dreamwriter Sat 01-Jun-13 22:42:01

Thank you SisterMonicaJoan. And you know, LalyRawr, that's the point exactly. This review is not the same as the reviewer's other efforts at humour because it includes abusive content about vulnerable children and gay people. It takes exactly the same kind of attitude as the playground bullies my readers are having to cope with, day after day. That's why I'm so incensed amazon can't see anything wrong with it.

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Sat 01-Jun-13 22:41:39

My son wouldn't have understood that as a joke at all. Lots of bullied dcs wouldn't. They spend so much time with people who take the piss and use 'I was only kidding' as a get out that they lose the ability to read social signals and struggle to trust their own judgement as to what is broadly considered to be humorous. It's nowhere near funny enough for it to be obviously funny, especially to a child and a child who has social problems too. Plus there is that underlying truism that people who get walked over (like them) are failures and unless they change everything they are, they will always be failures.

Smudging Sat 01-Jun-13 22:40:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FullOfChoc Sat 01-Jun-13 22:38:05

We have this book too and it's very good, opens up a discussion and very well written for a child to read.

omletta Sat 01-Jun-13 22:37:19

My 10 yo would not take that as a joke.

Homophobia isn't funny, ever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now