i need advice on how to set parental controls for an android tablet

(11 Posts)
SantaIAmSoFuckingRock Fri 14-Dec-12 01:50:09

i have no experience of parental controls so i need to know what is available, what is most reliable, and also how to set it up. TIA.

Pod1 Fri 14-Dec-12 12:56:12

Hi I'm afraid I can't offer any advice but I'm struggling with exactly the same problem at the moment, so I thought I'd sit and wait with you until an internet wizard comes along!

SantaIAmSoFuckingRock Fri 14-Dec-12 20:07:26

just bumping incase anyone's about.

Hi my children have a galaxy tab which is android. I tried lots of free ones but found them difficult to use. The best one we now have is net nanny. Its a free trial and then you pay. Its good as it blocks lots of searches which the others didn't. Even searching for girls wallpaper on the other allowed inappropriate sites to show. The block function works really well and allows you to set your own filter. It also allows YouTube but blocks inappropriate videos so allows them to search for 'funny cat' videos. We have found though that even though it blocks vrious YouTube videos it still allows access to YouTube which has no filters on. To be on the safe side now I've removed YouTube off the tab until Dd curiosity sauna.

TyroneDontMoan Mon 18-Mar-13 07:04:11

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

AmelieMaren Tue 02-Apr-13 23:07:31

In the past decade, the emergence of digital cameras and smartphones made it possible for parents to document and picture their children’s life to a much higher extent then ever before.

This research aims to explore the role of digital photography in family life. Parents will be asked to talk about their experiences, thoughts and feelings surrounding photographing their children.

I am a Masters Student of Psychology at the London School of Economics and this is my dissertation project.

Please take a few minutes to complete this quick anonymous online questionnaire. This research can give important insights to future generations of parents and children.

Thank you very much, your help is much appreciated!

Please follow this link:.

https://lse.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9tYncYquxvpXEyx

whatsleep Fri 10-May-13 10:48:38

We have used an app called 'funamo' you get a free trial before you buy it. You can set yor child's age to allow age appropriate things to be accessed. I agree that we should monitor or children's Internet access but at times it is appropriate for them to explore safely in te same room without an adult physically doing it with them. Although we have the app we still try and teach our dd about Internet safety but realistically you just don't want some things popping up from a child incidentally searching for pictures if a beaver!!! With funamo you can even set a filter fir YouTube, my dd loves watching her favourite bands but obviously I don't want my 8 year old having free rein on YouTube. £15 well spent! www.funamo.com/user/registration

Spudvic Fri 31-May-13 19:30:17

Why do you need to? I have told my children the do's and dont's and now that they have grown up without my pampering and putting cotton wool their eyes, there a lot happier because of it.

whatisyourview Sat 15-Jun-13 21:38:32

I use KIDS PLACE Click on kids place to download. Works like a treat for me

CUL8RAlligator Tue 27-Aug-13 13:51:40

I'm also interested in filtering software for an Android tablet - any suggestions other than the above? I use K9 on our PC's which is very good, there is an iPhone version that I've tried but it is too basic, and I think the Android version is similar.

tehtoby900 Sun 29-Sep-13 19:31:57

Hi, I'd like to recommend a very well-known search engine called "Google".
It comes up every time you go on the internet.
So rather than wait for replies on Mumsnet you could just search it up on Google and get an instant answer. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now