Need help with Internet safety - am a technophobe

(5 Posts)
Tryharder Mon 13-Aug-12 20:36:56

My DSs 7 and 4 regularly use laptops and iPad for games, browsing etc. My eldest son uses YouTube to download music videos and looks at things he is interested in such as pets etc. All innocent stuff. But there are no Internet controls on what he can access and I am aware that some need to be introduced swiftly.

So what do I do? I really have no idea. I asked at school and there were no help at all. Would really appreciate some advice and instructions from people more clued up than me.

TIA

lljkk Tue 14-Aug-12 02:16:22

K9 is pretty good & easy to install & manage (& free for single machines). It's available for iPad.

Access to any of these devices should be password protected so that they can only access when you let them. There's other info on this thread.

Ideally, long term, you want more than one layer restricting accessible material. For instance, our modem has parental control options built in, or you can make sure that SafeSearch options are set on UTube.

lljkk Tue 14-Aug-12 02:17:01

ps: get safe settings for DSi & other consoles. Mobile phones are the tricky devices.

SofiaAmes Tue 14-Aug-12 02:19:49

There are lots of threads about this, but nothing beats just having frank and constant conversations about internet safety. If you are not good with computers, chances are that you will not be able to put a parental control on the computer that will fool a child for very long. My ds had hacked the parental controls at his elementary school when he was 8 or 9.

fcarolan Sun 23-Sep-12 20:53:36

Hi, I know i am late to the party but i found a great Internet browser for children called Zinoko.

It is simple to setup and you will have full control of the list of websites that your children can see. I just thought i would let you know about it.

The site is www.zinoko.com.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now