Safe Minecraft Servers?

(15 Posts)
buildingmycorestrength Thu 25-Jul-13 07:39:22

Am watching this with interest as I am a dunce about this stuff but cautious. Thanks for all great info so far.

iChaz Wed 19-Jun-13 21:51:50

On the internet gamers tend to judge by grammar. For example in a game I play a dyslexic kid set up a clan with 6000 members and it is renowned is the most useless thing man has ever come up with.

Mu advice? Play it with her. Minecraft is a fun game that all ages enjoy. It has a fantastic community (I went to MINECON Paris and everyone was awesome and dead nice.

skinsor Wed 19-Jun-13 15:48:07

I've got a kid and I'm looking for servers considered safe. I've looked here but it's hard finding a server that's specifically safe. Anyone know of any family friendly ones?

ChrisP71 Wed 24-Apr-13 23:55:29

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Tamlev13 Wed 18-Jul-12 11:39:23

Listen, listen. Most minecraft servers are completely safe. What's the worst that can happen, your kid gets sworn at? If it gets to bad, disconnect and don't go back.
With texture packs and "OMG VIRUS!!!!!11!!", 99.999999% of texture packs and mods are safe. Check the file size before download (A 1Mb texture pack? Really), get them from minecraft forums, so if it is, people will say.
Seriously people, try to get real

BlethersDad Mon 16-Jul-12 14:32:46

Another update. The server closes down tomorrow due to lack of donations. Gutted, as it was really good. So i'm on the hunt again.

BlethersDad Mon 09-Jul-12 21:31:54

I've just had a chat with Tripp Fenderson, the guy that runs it all at monkeyhustle. He seems really cool, very knowledgable and spec. needs aware too, so i've added my girl to their whitelist. :-)

BlethersDad Mon 09-Jul-12 20:30:01

Wow! Thanks for all the replies folks! :-)

I do run various servers for LAN parties at home, but my main server is out of action during the switch to Linux.

Also, i want her to get online and be sociable, just in a trusted enviroment. As you can imagine, with her level of difficulties it is very difficult to make friends, and she doesn't have enough to make it worthwhile running a server for her friends to join her. There's also the issue that it would likely be very quiet 99% of the time.

She seems very dedicated to the and has watched literally 1000s of videos, so i really want her to get the chance to get out there and do things.

As for being careful, i have to be. It's not paranoid parent or over-cautious dad, but she really does take a lot of looking after and doesn't perceive the world like an average teen. Which is often a good thing. :-)

Ta!

BellaVita Mon 09-Jul-12 19:57:03

Does she just want to play on one or actually rent a server?

To rent DS1 uses this 8 a month

AdventuresWithVoles Mon 09-Jul-12 19:56:36

yes, buggy texture packs, DS is discovering that the hard way.

rimmerfleadick Mon 09-Jul-12 19:52:48

If it only a few friends, you can download the sever version and host your own.
You can whitelist players to allow only those known to you to play.

Most if not all of the mods and texture packs are fine, but maybe a bit buggy
and need to use modloader.

the tekkit pack is also good as you can build more complex machines etc.

look on yogscast lana (duncan) for his how to play tekkit.

AdventuresWithVoles Mon 09-Jul-12 19:50:12

I wonder if running his own server would be good ICT experience for DS1 or a scary mistake leading to him knowing Too Much ICT? wink

BertieBotts Germany Mon 09-Jul-12 19:45:27

You could always set up your own private server - this is what DP and his mates do. I'm not exactly sure how it works - I think they rent it or something? But I could ask him for you later.

AdventuresWithVoles Mon 09-Jul-12 19:40:57

Gawd, you are more careful than us. We have foolishly let DS download craftpacks or whatever from the official(?) fora, generally think they are self-policing for quality & malware.

This Google review looks very favourable for monkeyhustle.com.

BlethersDad Mon 09-Jul-12 19:23:08

I folks. I've been reading a lot of posts on MN over the years and have finally joined myself now (i have moobs now, it counts in my book). Be gentle!

My daughter just turned 14 and i finally gave in and bought her a legit copy of Minecraft so she can play with a couple of friends online.

She has Aspergers, ADHD, and is severely dyslexic (also multiple heart defects, pacemaker, asthma etc.). She is very gullible, and a teenager which is not a good combination.

I have found one place which purports to be child-friendly:
www.monkeyhustle.com/

but i have no idea if it is as safe as it says. I've mailed them and hope to find out more about the guy running the show, but i'd love to hear from anyone else that knows about this site's servers or people behind it.

Any other servers that you know of that are safe & monitored?

Any other parents with a similar predicament?

Cheers,
Glenn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now