Safety for a child using an IPad.

(16 Posts)
frankie4 Fri 06-Jul-12 17:17:31

My ds has an iPhone and there is no proper parental control of the Internet so we too the Internet off and installed an app called mobicip. It is really good as it lets you access the Internet but with proper parental control. Worth looking to see if this app is available for the iPad.

EmmaThorn Fri 06-Jul-12 17:13:50

My husband configured a software on the virgin router that blocks bad sites, so it works for any computer or phone or laptop. It works fine in our house, kids have their laptops and i know that they can't accidentally get to places that they shouldn't. You always have to keep an eye on them though, and its about trust and having an open relationship where they can talk to you without feeling like you don't trust them.

Tass1 Fri 29-Jun-12 09:53:00

Hi maras2.
Yes, there is help. There is a device that allows parents to control what their children are accessing online from within the home as well as remotely. This is an intelligent WiFi modem and you can connect any WiFi device to it; iPad, iPhone, PC, Laptop, Netbook and gaming consoles.
This allows parents to monitor, review and restrict or block undesirable online content and also to set parameters around which internet sites they can access, at what time of the day or night and for how long.
See Mumsnet Ad titled "CHILDRENS' SAFETY ONLINE" and click link given.
Regards
Tass1

notfarmingatthemo Thu 14-Jun-12 10:53:47

My dd has a Ipod touch and I was able to turn off purchasing apps and making in app purchases and all the social media. I can leave the wi fi on so she can play against her dad on a game they play. She is linked to her dads I tunes account so get all the games her gets, Which is what the laddie in the apple store suggested as they are not old enough for their own.

maras2 Thu 14-Jun-12 01:14:10

Thanks Thingiebob I've done this after a family member was stung.

Thingiebob Thu 14-Jun-12 01:09:21

My 2 yr old has an IPad. We removed YouTube and replaced it with Gube, all content has been filtered and is suitable for young kids. That is as much of the Internet she accesses, the rest of the time she plays on apps or watches Iplayer.

Make sure you turn off in game purchases and password protect the app store! My daughter was happily purchasing virtual strawberries and bananas for her virtual pet giraffe for a while without us realising until a statement was received!

maras2 Thu 14-Jun-12 00:55:35

1944 girl.I know it sounds completely crackers but he's been able to use mine for a good 6 months.It is a case of PFBGS and before we had him (and a large windfall)I'd have said exactly what you are thinking.When his mum,DD1 asked me to ask the M'snet jury about this,I told her that I'd be flamed.Still thanks for the input.Any more ideas guys?

bluecarrot Thu 14-Jun-12 00:07:05

And my 2 and 3 year old mindees can use my iphone (sitting down on the beanbag etc) with me beside them.

bluecarrot Thu 14-Jun-12 00:05:25

well, in that case apples own restrictions should be enough as I doubt he is savvy enough to work out your pin code. make sure in app purchases are off - basically go through the restricyion section in the product.

And get a good protective cover (maybe nonslip grip for playing it at a table? a special lap tray if hes gonna hold it on car journeys etc) and a screen protector.

1944girl Wed 13-Jun-12 23:43:49

You want to buy a 3 year old an i-pad?.Each to their own.

maras2 Wed 13-Jun-12 22:40:56

Blue Carrot.He's only 3 < i know > but very savvy.

bluecarrot Wed 13-Jun-12 22:34:54

what age is your dgs?

bluecarrot Wed 13-Jun-12 22:33:29

Watching with interest as dd now has an ipod touch. Ive put on parental controls but it takes off things like iplayer, which I want her to have, as long as I can put bbcs own parental lock on (not sure thats possible in the app - needs investigating)

I don't know but FaceTime has no record of calls made. That worries me.

fidelma Wed 13-Jun-12 22:28:19

marking my spot.....

maras2 Wed 13-Jun-12 21:45:40

Hi.Sorry if this has been discussed before but have only just discovered this site.I want to buy my DGS an IPad for his birthday,but have no knowledge about internet safety for this piece of kit.Can anyone help please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now