Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

Anorexic DD is going inpatient!

(5 Posts)
KateWhite12 Wed 16-Nov-16 10:15:35

Hi, has anyone had any experience with this? She's 17, but will most likely have her 18th birthday in there sad it's an adult one.

How will she be able to continue her school work (something she wants to do)?

rosesandcashmere Wed 16-Nov-16 10:20:37

Hi! I've had some experience but personally. It's important to note that everyone has a different experience based on their treatment. Has she admitted and realised she is ill yet? If not - expect a lot of resistance and heartache in the first few days and weeks. They should work with her on an individual treatment plan, this may or may not leave time for school work. I would imagine, in the first days and weeks there won't be any school work but again it depends on the person. Has she had an assessment there? If so, you can call and ask about what will happen, or at least she can and they should be clear and helpful. This might help prepare you both. Sending lots of unmumsnetty hugs and best wishes. This part is torture for all concerned but a necessary evil to fight this demon.

semideponent Wed 16-Nov-16 13:04:31

Oh, Roses, I am sorry - it must be very hard. However, inpatient was a real turning point for a dear friend of mine. She was admitted when we were just 20 (we have the same birthday) and was in there for a good long while. Overall, I'd say she's never looked back. We are 37 now. She's now stuck into a brilliant medical career and does so much good in the world. I'm sure there have been ups and downs in that time, but that inpatient treatment has helped her fight back. Fwiw, I don't think she was all that happy about being admitted originally. It was, however, the right place for her to be without any doubt.

Would tutors be a possibility, if and when she's allowed to continue schoolwork? I tutor myself and I'd be comfortable going into an ED unit. There may even be funding to help with it, though that's a long shot.

Best of luck!

rosesandcashmere Wed 16-Nov-16 13:10:38

It was hard but it was the best thing that could have been done! Once I accepted the help I couldn't have had a better experience to be honest, the staff were amazing, I recovered well (consider myself always recovering) and they taught me important coping skills which have helped for the last 15 years in all sorts of situations! It really is a great turning point, but if she fights back it will be hard to see. Stay strong, think of the long term and be kind to yourself. She will be in the best place. If they need her to focus on other things and not education for a while she will be able to catch up when out. I recommend contacting BEAT for support if you need some in the meantime

rosesandcashmere Wed 16-Nov-16 13:12:02

Worth mentioning I haven't looked back since inpatient treatment either. Was a complete turning point for me and I now fly all round the world for a living. I also got my degree and I was 16 when admitted. It can be done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now