Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

9yr old ds had broken his leg and is very anxious over physio

(6 Posts)
Katiepie1810 Thu 13-Oct-16 22:26:08

My son broke his leg on Saturday and is still in hospital. It was quite a bad break and he is a bit traumatised, particularly when it comes to moving it/physio. This is completely understandable but it is preventing him making progress as he shouts/cries/refuses to do anything. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Or has anyone got any advice? Wondering if a counsellor could give him some techniques to help him.....

AnyFucker Thu 13-Oct-16 22:30:11

He broke his leg on Saturday and he is expected to be moving it ?

Do you mean he refuses to hop about on crutches because he should be in plaster or if he's had surgery in bandages and not bending it yet.

ilovewelshrarebit123 Thu 13-Oct-16 22:43:13

My daughter is 9 and she badly broke her tibia last year. It was awful and we were in hospital overnight.

She had cast on the whole of her leg and wasn't allowed to weight bear for 6 long weeks!

Physio came to see her with a frame but it was impossible for her to use it. We found a kids wheelchair and used this or carried her everywhere. It didn't stop us from getting out and about though.

She was very tearful and frightened for the first week, but soon got used to it and was fine. She was in a cast for 8 weeks, and had an under the knee cast for the last two.

Try and get a wheelchair if you can, it makes things so much easier. You can hire them for about £10 a week.

Stock up on anti histamine for the itching, ibuprofen for the pain and wine for you!

Hope he feels better soon smile

Katiepie1810 Thu 13-Oct-16 22:52:13

Thank you for replying! I feel more reassured reading that... I think we'll do the wheelchair thing too. The cast is heavy and a full-leg one so it's hard for him to manage with the frame. Glad your daughter is well now. Will get some wine and anti-histamines in!

Katiepie1810 Thu 13-Oct-16 22:55:17

Hi, thanks for replying. It's a full-leg cast and we're trying to get him used to sitting on the side of the bed and standing on his good leg with the aid of a walker. He is very anxious (completely understandable) but he is so scared that it's stopping him move forward. I guess it will be slow progress and I just wondered what other people had been through 🙂

AnyFucker Fri 14-Oct-16 12:47:08

You can hire wheelchairs from the Red Cross. Ask for one with a leg support.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now