Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

HELP! 5 year old maybe claustraphobic

(4 Posts)
Thisisme1 Wed 21-Sep-16 14:23:41

Need some advice guys - please help
My son is a very confident and social child - he has recently started school which is why this has come light.

I feel I have missed some really obvious signs of him being claustrophobic and mistaken it for being impatient/clingy to me. EG
1. He cannot be in the car for a long amount of time - I thought this was impatience to get to where we have said. He asks repeatedly - its not far is it? Is it 5minutes etc
2. He will not ever allow me to leave him in the car (doors closed and locked ) in case say I forget something in house and literally need a few seconds to grab it whilst he is in the drive way - save me taking him and his sister out the car seats. He literally goes mad crying so I don't do it.
3. I'm not allowed to go to the bathroom at home with the door locked - he literally goes mental.
Even if he hears a door closing about the place he screams to check I am still there.

He has started school and seems to like it. They have music 2 days a week and he is unable to attend as he is really upset. The best information I can get is the following:

-I don't like the teacher - this is actually untrue as if he was frightened he wouldn't talk to him outside the class and high 5 him in the playground?!
-the music is too loud - its not we checked with school and he played it to us
-I feel tired
-I don't feel comfortable in there
-He locked the door and I'm not allowed to go toilet- not this one gets me - I believe the teacher closed the door and its scared him so much he cannot face going in the room. If he's being denied the toilet that's not acceptable but it could be they know he's making excuses to get out of there

I'm not exaggerating am I? this sounds like he is scared of being stuck inside so is claustrophobic?

What do I do - have tried a few things like staying with him and showing him how doors lock and unlock and also doing a role play so he gets comfortable with the teacher - I understand door is closed so noise doesn't disrupt the whole school

I feel so awful that I didn't pick up on this! and everyone is forcing him and probably making the fear worse!!

mummy2zni Wed 21-Sep-16 14:31:13

No experience of this myself so went to the www to educate myself. Came across this & although child in this story is 8 years old, there may be some tips in there you could use? flowers

mummy2zni Wed 21-Sep-16 14:32:08

Helps if I include the link hmm
www.parents-space.com/claustrophobia-in-children/

Thisisme1 Wed 21-Sep-16 14:48:10

Great will check out
feeling so sad sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now