Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

Friends DD hits herself and say she wants to kill herself.

(6 Posts)
Sweetsecret Fri 29-Jan-16 12:26:47

Hi everyone.
I am here to gain some advice for my best friend and her DD.
I see them daily so have a close bond with her DD and she is my DD's best friend. My friend is at a loss as to what to do.
So a little background.
She is 6 years old, and in recent months probably before last summer. She started to have meltdowns over very little things e.g being asked to stop running in a shop or if she knocked something over.
She would cry hysterically, start scratching her own forehead until in bled or hit herself and say she wanted to kill herself.
The school have been informed and she is being worked with with the family liason officer at school.
However my friend said this morning that it happen again last night, she fell over and it escalated into a full blown melt down, hitting herself etc.
It seems to be happening daily and I have witnessed it myself.
She has a happy home life, but her parents are split (happened when she was very young, so she hasn't known it any differently) her mum and dad do tend to be quite frosty with each other. But she sees her dad every other weekend.
However my friend has not informed her dad of this behaviour as she is worried he would be smug and say something along the lines of 'she doesn't do it with me' I have said I think she needs to tell him but she refuses.
What worries me is the behaviour it seems to be getting worse. Should she take her to the doctor? Wait and see what happens at school with the therapy?
It is difficult to see her like this as like I said she is like family to me. Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks.

timelytess Fri 29-Jan-16 13:39:23

She should certainly see the gp to explain, and then take the child along.

Sweetsecret Fri 29-Jan-16 20:59:15

Thank you. Yes I thought so, will try and encourage her to do so.

Themodernuriahheep Fri 29-Jan-16 21:01:38

Def go to Gp.

Themodernuriahheep Fri 29-Jan-16 21:03:13

Can you go with them so that Gp can see mum alone first and then see dd? Worth booking a double appointment.

Kennington Fri 29-Jan-16 21:06:05

Is there any cause? I was thinking of bullying at school.
But yes you sound like speaking to a doctor or school professional will be the way forward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now