Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to help if your child is feeling seriously distressed or suicidal, and Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you and/or your child need help urgently, please see our mental health webguide which can point you to expert advice and support.

My baby has a big head!! Will he be ok?

(6 Posts)
Hormonalhell Fri 22-Mar-13 12:20:20

Took my 10 week old baby to HV yesterday, they said they were concerned about his head circumference as it was way above normal and not on the centiles. Then this morning had a call from GP saying they want to refer him to paediatric doctor to keep an eye on him.

I'm so worried now hmm

barleysugar Fri 22-Mar-13 12:31:36

I'm glad they are checking him. In all probability he will be fine and you'll probably find out either you or his father also have a large head. But, it can be a serious indicator of nasty things (my friends child had a BT and always wishes someone had picked it up earlier). It's extremely rare though.

Hormonalhell Fri 22-Mar-13 12:45:38

Oh good grief Barley I hope it's nothing like that hmm

His dad said is other son also has a large head too so hoping its just in the genes.

Head circumference is notoriously difficult to measure accurately and in a 10 week old baby a tiny discrepancy can make a huge difference to whether their head measures 'normally' or not. I had a HV inaccurately measure my ds's head when he was about 4 months old and it caused a huge amount of stress and worry. He was fine (strapping 13 yo now with a perfectly average head!)

It's good that they're checking it out to be on the safe side, but chances are it will turn out to be nothing to worry about.

Hormonalhell Fri 22-Mar-13 13:15:19

Oh I hope so Mrsmini, am worried but also glad they are monitoring it. DS1 had a big head too but wasn't monitored ( although this was almost 11 years ago)

Measure your head and his dad's head and check them against this to see if it is a family thing. If my DD has a big head then I wouldn't worry at all because mine is way off the chart and DH's is above 97th centile. Also get a tape measure and remeasure it as I have found that HV occassionally either measure or plot things wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now