Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

camhs

(7 Posts)
Emz8369 Sat 09-Feb-13 22:39:07

My daughter is being referred to camhs by her school because she told her teacher she wanted to kill herself! Her dad left nearly 4 years ago in the middle of the night with no notification whatsoever and someone in her class has been pickin on her telling her that her dad doesnt love her and she has been internalizing everything until it has all gotten too much for her and she couldnt take anymore.

I feel like i have failed her because she hasnt been able to approach about it.

I am confused, angry and upset about the situation, confused because my daughter has said she just wants her dad to love her but she has also said she doesnt feel safe leaving the house on her own incase she sees him, angry because the girl who is picking on her lives with her grandma and grandad because her mother abandoned her and upset because she felt unable to approach me about it.

I really dont know what to do i feel lost so cant imagine how she is feeling, has anyone else ever been in this situation or had any involvement with camhs?

nanigoat Sun 10-Feb-13 12:02:53

Please try not to beat yourself up about this-your daughter has opened up to her teacher and now she will work through her feelings with the help of counsellors at camhs.
It is a painful and difficult thing to see your daughter going through all of this -you havent failed her-you are, like the rest of us, doing the best you can.
You may also find it helpful to ask your doctor to refer you to see a counsellor -you could also see someone privately- www.bacp.co.uk is a good place to start-also low cost counselling at st. benedicts -www.eacs.org.uk.

Emz8369 Sun 10-Feb-13 12:52:54

Thanks

guineapiglet Sun 10-Feb-13 17:20:56

Hi - we had a very good experience with CAMHS when my daughter was referred to them for a couple of years' support - there is no stigma attached to it, it is a helpful and supportive service, and all the counsellors we met were very professional, understanding and experienced.

When you go, you will be bowled over by the number of teenagers, of all shapes and sizes waiting to be seen - it just shows that there is a real need for such support services. Often all teenagers want is someone away from the family who will treat them like an adult and with respect - someone to listen to them, and help them sort things out sensibly and effectively.

I really hope you get the support she needs, and make space for yourself as well, so that you can be there for her when needed.

mindfulmum Sun 17-Feb-13 09:07:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dopamax Sun 24-Feb-13 18:50:26

Good experience.....in the end with camhs for dd9 when her dad left her never to be seen again.
Took a few goes to get the right therapist but when we did he was wonderful with her/me.
Worked with her 1 yr, showed her coping stratagies etc plus talking therapies and lots more, very helpful.
Wishing you all the best, its not easy, emotions, school etc but do ask for help, good luck.

dopamax Sun 24-Feb-13 18:52:06

feel free to ask me anything, so sad for girls when dads do this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now