Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

How to help/get help for an 8 year old's phobia?

(4 Posts)
DonderandBlitzen Tue 29-Jan-13 14:19:58

Thanks Bruffin. I'm not really sure what to do as if I try to mention the Tudors at all, she is reduced to tears, asks me to stop and runs away. I will ask her teacher if she has any suggestions, although she may not really know. May have to do a bit of googling.

bruffin Mon 28-Jan-13 22:46:28

Meant to say its about being highly imaginative and fear of the unknown.

bruffin Mon 28-Jan-13 22:45:13

My Dd had some odd phobia at that age. She was petrified of anything about titanic.we used to find the dvd turned around so she couldn't see the title. She also scared of war because they covered it in school.
She got over the war by her nans talking to her about their lives in wartime.
The titanic she just sort of got over and then later had a bit of an obsession for a short while. could you try and find positive things about the tudors maybe how lovely Elizabethan clothes were. Just downplay everything and jolly her along.

DonderandBlitzen Mon 28-Jan-13 22:32:35

Hi. My daughter is 8 and when she was 7 she was invited to the show of Horrible Histories for her good friend's birthday. I didn't think much of it as she enjoyed the TV version. When I picked her up they told me that she had been scared by a bit about Mary Queen of Scots, where they had made it look like she had a skull head or something, but they had hugged her.
Since then she has gone to sleep with her side light on, then i turn it off once she is asleep.
A year later I have realised that she seems to have something like a phobia about the Tudors/ tudor portraits etc. If the subject comes up, she breaks down in tears and shakes and runs out of the room and kind of puts her hands over her ears and tells me not to talk about it. Obviously it is not something that is an issue every day, but she will be studying the tudors a year from now at school and she worries about any mention of museums/history in case there might be violence/anything to do with the Tudors.
I suppose the Tudors can be quite a gory topic with the torture and beheadings and that is what has scared her. I was wondering how to help
her get over this. It's definitely not something i've ever tried to ram down her throat. It was just the HH show that scared her. I should also mention that she has never experienced or seen any sort of violence in real life, so it isn't rooted in that. How do i help her get over this?
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now