Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

nine year old daughter keeps crying :0(

(4 Posts)

I work with 8 and 9 year olds (year 4) and they do cry at the drop of a hat - the girls and the boys. I usually work with slightly older children, it's been a few years since I last did this year group, and tbh I'd forgotten how emotional they can be.
If you are sure there's nothing else going on (speak to her teacher maybe?) I would say just be there for her. At this age they are beginning to understand the world a bit more, abstract concepts can be quite upsetting (we're doing the rainforest and I've a couple very upset about loss of habitat). Also, their friendships are changing and that can be very unsettling.
Make sure she knows you're there if she needs you and keep an eye on her for clues in case there is anything you need to sort out for her.

DoodlesNoodles Fri 18-Jan-13 22:48:32

My DD was a bit of a crier at this age. I think it was a combination of things, low level friend problems, school stress, hormones and tiredness. She was generally happy but would be tearful for what seemed like no reason. I think that tiredness was the biggest issue.
She often did it just before bed so we agreed that we would have a sit down and chat earlier in the evening where she could discuss any of her troubles. I told her I wouldn't then be able to get into big discussions just before bedtime. That may sound harsh but it seemed to work. My DD did (and still does) verbalise everything.
My DD is now 16 and is a lovely happy girl with almost no teenage angst or stroppy'ness. Perhaps she got it out her system early.
Good luck.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Fri 18-Jan-13 22:42:05

My nearly 10 year old went through this last year i think.

For days and days she was crying and upset, i asked and asked, all i would get is "nothing" or "i don't know".

After much talking and reassuring she told me she was worried about racism and why some white people don't like black people. The Stephen Lawerence murders had just been convicted and it was on the news a lot, she is mixed race and it really upset her.

Could you dd have seen something on t.v or in the news that has worried her?

It's awful when you don't know how to help them, hope she feels better soon.

suzisunshine Fri 18-Jan-13 22:37:51

I dont know what to do, every night my daughter is crying. she appears depressed or scared of something. i keep asking her whats wrong and she doesnt know. could this be hormones. She is normally such a happy kid. she said its not school or home life. i just feel useless. :0(

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now