Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

Anxiety in 8 year old DD

(34 Posts)
EustaciaVye Tue 08-Jan-13 20:31:16

My daughter has always been sensitive, although she is sociable and popular.
She is increasingly experiencing highs and lows, is moody and often doesnt know why. I put it down to emerging hormones, however it has been compounded by the fact she has been having wee accidents (likely a direct effect of anxiety over friendships).

I need to help her learn to cope with feelings of anxiety. She seems lost at the moment and I want to help as it is heartbreaking watching her so sad.

GP has referred her to bedwetting clinic to identify if accidents have physical or emotional cause. Accidents only happen during day.

Suggestions welcome.

cocolepew Fri 11-Jan-13 19:42:13

Sorry meant to say to do the exercise with the fingers until you feel beter, not just once!

EustaciaVye Sat 12-Jan-13 10:18:41

I spoke too soon. dd had a total meltdown at bedtime over something teeny. she is on a knife edge this morning and we have already had a couple of tears.

It is difficult to know if it is anxiety or hormones. Sometimes she behaves like me when I am premenstrual.

EustaciaVye Sat 12-Jan-13 10:19:52

I like the thumb trick cocolepew. Simple but can see it would be effective as a distraction/empowerment technique, as well as the science stuff.

cocolepew Sat 12-Jan-13 12:39:12

I also used a mixture of Bach flower remedies, there is a place that will make up ones for you or you can do it yourself. I'm not sure if it was a placebo effect or they really worked but they helped DD at her worst. Saying that I use Rescue Remedy and think it works, you could try that smile. Jan de Vries do a one already made up especially for children.

I hope she feels better today , it's such a stressful thing to deal with.

EustaciaVye Sat 12-Jan-13 13:16:33

Just took dd to get new shoes and I am amazed she has grown a size and a half since September. I wonder if growth has affected her in terms of tiredness and hormones? She has been partic bad in the last few months.

cocolepew Sat 12-Jan-13 18:03:54

My DD got noticable worse around the age of 10/11, I did blame her hormones, even her hair started to fall out. It didn't help that she has a blood phobia and was terrified of her periods starting.

EustaciaVye Mon 14-Jan-13 19:58:34

cocolepew - thing is, there will always be something wont there!

dd said tonight "mummy, since you bought the worry book i havent been worrying as much"

she has only been bringing 1 or 2 things to worry time....

cocolepew Mon 14-Jan-13 20:25:33

That's true! But the good news is as they get older they are able to remove themselves from anything that is upseting them. I'm constantly telling DD that she can control the situation and not to let the anxiety to control it. It's finally starting to get through grin.

EustaciaVye Tue 15-Jan-13 16:49:50

Today we have had meltdowns about spelling test....every week, and shoelaces on her new shoes...only pair that fit her odd feet and she cant do them up very well so they keep coming undone. sigh. It is exhausting just witnessing the level of tension she can generate...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now