Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

possible ocd

(5 Posts)
tibywibs Mon 03-Dec-12 19:52:52

Hi all,
This sounds an awful way to start..... but i've always thought there was more going on in my 6yo ds's mind than meets the eye! He is currently petrified of germs, this has gone on for a while and he has always liked to wash his hands but over the past few weeks i feel he is getting worse and i am unsure as to what is the best way to help him. He has used a bottle of handwash over the weekend, his hands are scaly and scabby as he washes them so often. He asks me to smell his hands even if they have just been washed and this week he has asked me to smell his feet too incase he stood on something with germs on! Tonight is the final straw for me as he has asked for me to smell his bottom because he accidentally touched the christmas tree with it! ( there are pretend berries on the tree and he is scared incase they are poisonous, despite my constant reassurrance they're plastic and fine!) The hand washing is the worst of his quirks but he seems to do nothing but worry. He does play and we have lovely days out and fun athome with his 4yo sister but then he bursts out with things like can the dangly bit at the back of your throat fall out and make you die? My heart sinks and no matter how many times i reassure him it wont happen, he will be fixated on it for days until another problem arises (the hand washing is always a permanent fixture)
I have spoken to gp about this and he says it's associated with a problem he has with his ears..... he can't hear properly due to a large build up of wax, doctors have tried on and off for six months to get it out but he is frightened of their machine and so we are sent off with ear drops and the threat of an operation

tibywibs Mon 03-Dec-12 19:55:01

(Dont know what happened there!)

So anyway, doc told me to bring him back when his ears are sorted but that doesnt seem like it will be a quick fix and i feel he's getting worse. Just wondered of anyone had been through anything similar with their dcs?

tacal Mon 03-Dec-12 20:11:12

my 4 year old has strange ocd tendencies. Not to do with germs. I have struggled to get his behaviour back to normal. I think it gets worse when he is worried or upset about something. GP and HV could not help me they only offered to refer him to a clinc who would check him for behavioural problems. So far I have chosen not to do that. i hope you get some good advice. Good luck x

tibywibs Mon 03-Dec-12 20:35:53

Thanks tacal. Tbh he has always been a hand washer since he was a about 3 but recently he has got worse and i just dont know how to help him. I refused to smell his hands today and told him they were fine so he followed me round the house with them cupped together and had such sad eyes. I refused again to smell them and he burst into tears. I dont know whether to let him cry or to keep sniffing! Not sure whatis best for him! Doc has previously said he could have counselling so fingers crossed he follows through with that when we see him tomorrow.

tacal Tue 04-Dec-12 11:33:17

I know exactly what you mean tibywibs. I have never been able to figure out if it is best to refuse the strange things my ds wants to do or to just go with it because it is so upsetting for him if he cant do it. There are times I have been very worried about ds's behaviour and have usually found it is better to just let him do what he needs to do and be supportive then it eventually gets better for a while. If I refuse to let him do the strange things he wants to do this makes him really upset and the ocd type behaviour gets worse. I hope you get some good advice from the doctor which will help you and your ds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now