What to do with rooster with missing lower beak

(5 Posts)
Reluctant2ndtimer Tue 23-Aug-16 15:21:39

Mum has just taken in my sister's chicken and rooster while Dsis is on holiday. Charles the cockerel has no lower beak, his beak was broken when Dsis got him but she'd had it wired up by the vet (at great expense) and this has failed. Poor Charles doesn't seem able to eat or drink very well now, we've put him and his wife is a separate small run so they're not competing for food with DMs chickens and given him soft food but I'm not sure he's even managing that. He's so fast that I haven't managed to feel his crop, not that I'd know if it felt full or not. Can anyone advise us on what to do with him please?

Reluctant2ndtimer Tue 23-Aug-16 15:24:43

Better picture of him here

P1nkP0ppy Tue 23-Aug-16 15:27:28

I suspect that there's nothing you can do op other than phone the vet for advice.
It's unlikely he's going to be able to eat or drink so it could well be bad news, sorry.

happyvalley4 Tue 23-Aug-16 15:38:29

It doesn't look good to me. My recommendation is to take him to the vet.

Reluctant2ndtimer Tue 23-Aug-16 15:42:21

Oh dear, you've both said what I was thinking but if he's not going to get better I suppose it's for the best. Poor Charles. He's such a handsome bird.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now