sorry ....Business question

(8 Posts)
welliesandwine Mon 01-Aug-16 21:28:24

I'm a chicken keeper (along with various other animals too) and run a teeny business as a pet sitter , mainly for chickens.
I usually visit them at their home for an early morning breakfast let out and a dusk put to bed.
However I am thinking of offering chicken boarding in my garden in an Eglu Cube (saves going out at 9.30pm on a Sat ! wine) but looking at pricing .. Would you pay £1.50 per chook for full board (plus snacks) or would you prefer to have your girls visited at home? I'm in Cheshire..

Couldn't offer this to any cockerels (got one. ...And that's enough!)
Welcome any thoughts

ThornyBird Mon 01-Aug-16 21:34:11

Depends on how many clients you have - could be tricky mixing 'flocks'. So if you have more than one client, you still have to go out anyway.

welliesandwine Mon 01-Aug-16 21:50:03

The regulars tend to be quieter over the Summer, when its late bedtimes ...the Spring, Autumn and Xmas are fine as bedtime is more of a sociable hour... Its the summertime clients I would need to juggle but this year I haven't had any overlaps ..it would be a bit cheaper too.
My lot are in a different part of the garden ...the guests would stay near house..one flock in the Eglu (thinking these are easy to disinfect between bookings)

ThornyBird Mon 01-Aug-16 22:07:43

It could well work then. We have 2 Eglus - a cube with run and a second hand Eglu with run. They are lovely to clean and maintain.

We have 2 as we look after the school chickens in the holidays - they are in an Eglu Go at school and it is nothing like as good quality.

I wouldn't really care where they were as long as they were being checked to be honest - although you'd have to take my cats too grin

welliesandwine Mon 01-Aug-16 22:34:47

Oh glad you mentioned that ...I'm watching a Go on Ebay .. Best to stick to Cube or the original one then smile

ThornyBird Mon 01-Aug-16 23:59:46

I think so. They are made of different plastic and the Go is quite brittle plus it goes together differently so is harder to move about. If we had known we would have fundraiser the extra for the original type. This was a few years ago though (5?) so the GO might have improved.

SpikyWater Tue 02-Aug-16 00:11:26

I would personally prefer my chickens to be visited, a move is unsettling and can set off bullying/re-ordering the hierarchy.

ZippyNeedsFeeding Sun 11-Sep-16 22:21:10

As a farmer, I'd be concerned about biosecurity. You could be importing all kinds of trouble. I also hate Eglus, but that's a personal thing (at peak bird, I had about 100 birds, so it may be that my head just can't handle the tiny scale).
Also, Spiky makes a good points about chickens not liking to be disturbed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now