chickens in a suburban garden

(4 Posts)
ooharmehearties Sat 07-May-16 10:42:39

I've been planning to have two or three chickens, mainly as pets, but I have a standard sized lawn not a large garden.
My neighbour used to keep chickens and said they destroyed his garden and turned it into a quagmire, so now am having a wobble. What do you think? I kept chickens at my old childhood home but it was a huge garden with their own large section.
My 4yr old dd is looking forward to them, now am wondering if Guinea pigs might be more appropriate.

Winterbiscuit Sat 07-May-16 18:30:05

I would definitely go for guinea pigs. They can help trim the lawn for you!

Chickens will make dust baths in any open earth (flowerbeds, veg patch etc.) They're not as easy to pick up and stroke as guineas, they make jerky movements and might peck.

foresttrees2 Fri 20-May-16 17:59:07

If you do get chickens I would certainly fence them off from the main garden if you have space. Otherwise you are out in the summer accidental stepping I chicken poo and they dig up all the flower beds. They do make lovely pets though!

CheshireDing Sun 29-May-16 06:47:15

We have chickens in our garden, it's a larger garden than average (but not enormous).

We keep them in their run (it's the Omlete one with the extension) as otherwise in the summer there are flies everywhere from the chicken poo all over the garden.

We have chipping in their run and a powder to put down to eat up the chicken poo smell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now