Polish Chicken sounds like a Cockrel

(3 Posts)
CheshireDing Tue 19-Apr-16 11:43:30

We already have some 18 month old Chickens but one died the other day so we got 2 smaller ladies - a Silkie and a Polish. They are around 18 weeks.

The Polish sounds like a Cockrel though, does anyone know if this is usual for a Polish (never had a Polish before, always other breeds). It came from a proper Chicken breeder but I am wondering whether it is just young chicken cheeping or actually a male ! sad

Shallishanti Fri 22-Apr-16 22:18:16

We have had various chickens that crowed, proper crowed.
We did have a polish (called Guinness, she was black with a white head) but she didn't crow.
I tried to research this but all I could find was folklore (it's very bad luck for a hen to crow)- I think it's to do with the relationships within the flock and the lack of a cockerel.
On the other hand, you may have an actual cockerel.

CheshireDing Sat 23-Apr-16 08:16:00

Thanks Shallishanti I can hear it "crowing" this morning. Might give it another week then ring the farmer hmm

I did look at some photos which seem to say the males have more scruffy head fathers (which this one is more puffball). It doesn't have any potential spurs either, but not sure whether it would at this age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now