6ft or 9ft run for 3 chickens?

(8 Posts)
andantecantabile Mon 14-Mar-16 22:07:39

We are excitedly looking forward to keeping chickens for the first time, and have done lots of research, especially on coops and a run. It would be for 3 chickens. We have read that ideally chickens need 10sq feet of space each, and have narrowed it down to the Haven chicken coop from Flyte So Fancy, with either a 6ft run or a 9ft run.

6ft
http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Haven-Hen-House-with-6ft-Run-HH6.html

9ft
http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Haven-Hen-House-with-9ft-Run-HH9.html

The 6ft run says it's fine for up to 4 chickens, but the square footage of the run only comes to 24sq ft, which is slightly less than the amount that we have read is recommended.

Can anyone tell me if the 6ft run would be fine, or whether we should go for the 9ft run? They would be spending the vast majority of their time in the run, and we want them to be happy!

Any other first time chicken-keeping tips gratefully received also!

Thanks in advance thanks

ChickenHouseMan Tue 15-Mar-16 17:07:29

How often are you planning on moving it or are you building a base for it? the 9' would be better.

alibubbles Tue 15-Mar-16 18:08:28

G as big as you can afford, I have a 12x10 walk in run from Flytesofancy, as you will end up getting more chickens! I had 3, and over the years had many, I have 10 at the moment!

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 15-Mar-16 18:10:52

Big as you can. I got 3 bantams initially and a 7ftx4ft run and then they looked so cramped I went out immediately and bought fencing and electric fence poles and sectioned off a 15ftx7ft section of the garden for them.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 15-Mar-16 18:13:47

Have you looked at these here

They're a bit cheaper than the ones you linked to. My first run was a Dell and I thought it was very good quality.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 15-Mar-16 18:16:00

Ive also now moved to a walk in run which is great.

yearofthehorse Tue 15-Mar-16 18:17:50

Another vote for big as you can. We spent a lot of money on first a 6 ft then 9 ft run. Then spent a lot less on building a 12 x 8 out of timber and chicken wire. Whilst a 6 ft run might be legal for 3 chickens they will look very cramped and you will then be tempted to let them out to destroy your garden! I suggest you talk to a local carpenter who will almost certainly be able to make something much bigger and cheaper.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 15-Mar-16 18:24:24

My electric fence post and chicken wire run is still standing and in use 13 years on. Cost less than £50 in materials. Took about 30 mins to put together. Pushed the posts into the ground and twist tied the wire in. I now have the walk in run at one end as an extension.

I do think the first run I bought which is similar style to what you have linked to OP was a waste of money even though it was well built. But I guess for people with a small garden it's a good option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now