One of my ladies has died suddenly :(

(3 Posts)
Titsalinabumsquash Sun 06-Mar-16 15:51:10

My Black Rhode, Skye died today, she was fine when I put them to bed last night, then this morning she didn't come out with the others this morning for breakfast and I found her inside the eglu laying on her side completely stiff.

None of them have laid eggs for about 5 months, they're 3 yrs old big apart from the no eggs they seem healthy, happily eating, drinking, we treat them for worms they have a large space for pecking around in.

No sinister looking droppings and no signs of anything that would have killed her, she was the leader of the peck so I guess they'll have to find a new order.

Will the others follow suit? I've scrubbed he eglu and put fresh bedding in and changed all the food and water.

Thumbcat Tue 15-Mar-16 18:54:50

Sorry to hear this. How are the others doing? I don't have any advice as I've only had my three since last summer and fortunately haven't lost any yet, but for hybrids I don't think 3 years is an uncommon life expectancy.

jonhs Wed 23-Mar-16 06:32:43

I have had this happen to me in the past, if the other hens are OK just put it down to bad luck, these things do happen. Don't worry about it too much unless all your other hens start to die, then I would look into it further.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now