Chicken can't stand up.

(5 Posts)
WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sat 28-Nov-15 16:42:45

rather naughtily I never checked on them yesterday but went to them this morning and one was laid down. Wouldn't stand up, she's elderly so I just assumed she'd die later on today.

Went back this afternoon and she's still alive and actually looks quite perky. One of her legs is pointing backwards behind her. So not sure if it's broken. She can't stand. When she tried to get away from me she just sort of scooted along the ground.

Ive put her in a covered cat litter box with food and water so at least she's dry and not going to starve to death.

I don't feel I can neck her. I'm guessing splinting a leg isn't an option? Will take her to the vets on Monday to have her pts I guess.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 29-Nov-15 13:59:41

She still can't stand. She's got herself out the box which is impressive as it has a big lip on it to get over. She's under the hen house next to the feeder. Dunno why as she has food in the box.

Will go out at dusk and put her back in the box.

Looks like it's the vet tomorrow to be pts.

puggymummy1 Fri 01-Apr-16 13:05:46

We had this a few weeks ago. Not elderly and I thought it looked like Marrecks disease. We had to remove her as the other five were attacking her. We kept her indoors for a week until she passed away. It was horrible to see her suffer and I wish we had had her pts when we first took her to the vets. Instead, the vet gave her an injection of pain killer.

notasausage Wed 06-Apr-16 22:02:56

We had one like this - our favourite typically. Get said it was Mareks and she was Pte. None of the others were affected but apparently they can pick it up from the wild bird population

Burnshersmurfs Fri 29-Apr-16 19:25:25

It happened to one of mine, but she got better- she's laying, but still walks with a limp though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now