Found one of my chickens dead this morning

(5 Posts)
Stratter5 Sat 11-Jul-15 11:43:49

Just a young one, bought her with the others at POL in spring. She was just lying dead under the perch this morning.

They've all had a bit of a cough and sneeze; they've been wormed, and are on their second lot of ABs - the first 3 day course seemed to clear it up, but it came bad after I'd finished the course.

Any ideas, she's seemed lively and happy, and was the least affected by this snizz, laying fine right up to yesterday, when she missed laying. No froth or fluid round her beak or nostrils, vent is a healthy pink.

Could it be simply the heat? They don't go to bed until 9pm, and are free range. The hen house is situated in the shadiest part of the garden, under a big fir tree, and they have free access to their secure run and fresh water.

All I can think of is someone has been eating my rhubarb.

EasyToEatTiger Mon 13-Jul-15 20:41:16

I can't help you I'm afraid. It's awful to lose animals and I'm sorry for your loss. We had some new runner ducks in the spring. One of them died almost immediately and the other was lame. We took the lame one to the vet. Not much they could do, but I made some phone calls and it seems there was dodgy husbandry at the breeders. I've got a chick in a coma at the moment. It fell into the duck pond. Still breathing 6 hours later, but eyes closed and very still. But not dead.

Stratter5 Tue 14-Jul-15 00:45:20

I'm so sorry about your ducks, and your poor chicken - I hope she pulls through x

EasyToEatTiger Tue 14-Jul-15 11:23:24

The chick died and we buried it this morning. Another chick fell into the water today. Dh hoiked it out quickly and after a visit to the dentist it is now with proper mum.

Stratter5 Tue 14-Jul-15 19:27:54

Poor little chick, I'm so sorry. Is it their drinking water, I get a lot of wildlife in, I fill the dish with gravel, so they can drink but not do anything silly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now