Fake eggs, what are they for?

(33 Posts)
Pixel Wed 03-Sep-14 00:14:42

I mean the china and plastic ones. Are they supposed to encourage hens to lay or are they for broody hens?

InculKate Wed 03-Sep-14 00:17:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BlueBrightBlue Wed 03-Sep-14 00:18:00

To encourage hens to lay in the right place.

BlueBrightBlue Wed 03-Sep-14 00:19:26

Yeah, I've only ever seen rubber ones. Boy they take some boiling!

InculKate Wed 03-Sep-14 00:51:19

InculKate Wed 03-Sep-14 00:51:27

InculKate Wed 03-Sep-14 00:51:37

InculKate Wed 03-Sep-14 00:51:49

InculKate Wed 03-Sep-14 00:52:14

InculKate Wed 03-Sep-14 01:17:14

InculKate Wed 03-Sep-14 01:17:22

InculKate Wed 03-Sep-14 01:18:56

InculKate Wed 03-Sep-14 01:19:15

InculKate Wed 03-Sep-14 01:19:29

InculKate Wed 03-Sep-14 01:19:42

Pixel Wed 03-Sep-14 18:01:00

Mmm okay... hmm

I did realise the broody hen bit made no sense as soon as I'd typed it blush but was hoping I could somehow remind my girls what an egg actually looks like and get them earning their keep the lazy gits!

ThreeYorkshires Wed 03-Sep-14 18:05:43

We put a couple in their house if one of the girls starts pecking at eggs. Seems to put a stop to it sharpish! grin

ConcreteElephant Wed 03-Sep-14 18:08:54

My Mum uses these with her girls. They are all rescue chickens (from caged environments) and aren't too sure at first where they can lay, nor do they know that pecking the egg to smithereens after laying is unhelpful. Somehow the fake eggs can help teach them. I'm not sure how though!

Strawdolly Wed 03-Sep-14 18:16:24

Do you know why your hens aren't laying, Pixel? Are you getting fewer eggs or none at all?

Pixel Wed 03-Sep-14 18:28:26

No eggs at all for months sad. The girls are only two years old and look ridiculously healthy (one of them had sourcrop a couple of months back but is fine now). The only possible reason they have for not laying is that they have been moulting but surely they should be ok again by now? We had one egg a couple of weeks ago and I thought 'hurrah, they are laying again' but there's been nothing since.

BlueBrightBlue Wed 03-Sep-14 21:34:07

Are your chucks going through the change?

Pixel Wed 03-Sep-14 22:28:21

Well maybe, but I was told they would lay until they were about 3 so I did expect to get eggs for a little longer.

Strawdolly Thu 04-Sep-14 09:29:19

I would think it'll be the moulting then, they don't lay during the moult as they need to put all their energy into new feathers. If you're not giving them too many treats and they're worm and mite free I'd be pretty sure that's what it is.

What do you feed them?

They will probably lay for a lot longer than three years, the number of eggs will reduce the older they get.

Pixel Thu 04-Sep-14 19:43:11

They have layers pellets in a hopper in their run, and oyster grit in another. They have fresh greens every day and then in the afternoon/evening they'll have a few leftovers (spaghetti etc), OR veg peelings cooked and mashed with layers mash, OR if I haven't got those they'll have some mixed corn. If I'm around they'll sometimes come out into the garden for a dig around and have worms/snails/woodlice.

There is no sign of mites (we had them last summer so I know what to look for) and I use a ground sanitiser that is supposed to kill worms. I also gave them some wormer a couple of months ago but I'm not sure how much I actually got down them so I might try and do that again. Since one of them had to have antibiotics twice a day for the sourcrop I've got better at administering such things!

Pixel Thu 04-Sep-14 19:44:01

They did stop laying all of a sudden rather than petering out so that must be a good sign right? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now