What breed of smaller chickens should I consider?

(7 Posts)
lolalotta Tue 07-May-13 21:04:29

Hello, I am dreaming of getting a few chickens, we have plenty of space, just moved to a property with a 100ft garden! Just beginning to research it all really, I have no clue how it all works...we went to a National Trust on the Monday and my DD, age 3, seemed to really take to the smaller chickens (they were Bantams, I think!!!) in comparison to the larger ones who seemed to frighten her a bit. I was just wondering which smaller breeds I should consider? I love my baking too so good layers as well as friendly with small children would be nice! Thank you so much for any tips!

MrsRPatz Tue 07-May-13 21:09:48

Hi although they're not small, I'd recommend Blue Haze chickens. They are very friendly, good layers and a beautiful grey colour. We have 2 and they both usually lay an egg each every day.

Lizzabadger Sat 11-May-13 23:02:18

Pekins

tilder Sat 11-May-13 23:14:38

The type of chicken you want depends on why you want them, if you want free range or value your garden.

Imo bamtams are catfood and lay tiny eggs. Look beautiful, don't make as much mess (little poos).

Fully freerange is lovely if you are ok with the poo. Chickens do big poos, lots of them.

The more feathers a chicken has on its legs and feet, the less they tend to scratch. So less likely to trash your lawn and plants.

Rare breeds are often beautiful, its great to support.the breeds. But they are rare for a reason, they don't lay as many eggs.

How much do you want to spend per bird is also important. Bearing in mind they do die/get eaten. Round here I pay about £8-£12 for a point of lay commercial hybrid type, light Sussex, marran or other popular breed. They all lay around 6 eggs a week each. Rare breeds cost several times that and may lay half as many.

chickens are brilliant. Our kids love them. Much better than rabbits and the poached eggs are devine.

tilder Sat 11-May-13 23:17:11

Sorry for the epic post blush. The slightly random comment about rabbits is because my friends keep getting their kids rabbits, guinea pigs, other small rodents as pets. Ours have the chickens. Not quite as cuddly but at least they are productive!

Lizzabadger Sun 12-May-13 15:54:57

Have you had bantams killed by cats, Tilder?

LittleJack15 Thu 16-May-13 17:45:36

Little pekins are lovely little birds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now