She didn't freeze to death did she???

(6 Posts)
willyoulistentome Tue 26-Mar-13 12:12:45

We have (had) 4 chickens. All seemingly fit and well yesterday. This morning I found one dead in the coop when I let them out? Please God tell me she didn't freeze to death? There were no injuries that I could see.

It's bloody cold, but not as cold as the night I managed to lock one OUT of the coop a couple of winters ago in -18 degrees. Apart from glaring at me a bit she was fine!!

We have an inch or two of snow, their water freezes up , but we keep changing it, so they do get enough to drink - and there's loads of food for them. We have one of those Graddad feeder thigs that keeps the squirrels out.

If she didn't freeze - what happened?

Oh dear, poor thing.

No idea but I think it is unlikely she froze to death. We had exactly this happen in one of the cold snaps. Chicken had refused to come out of the coop one day, and I found her dead the next morning. The cold may have contributed but I think she was already in difficulties of some sort, so I think she was on her way out anyway.

All our chickens have "just died" IYSWIM, no apparent cause.

Sad, isn't it?

VerySmallSqueak Tue 26-Mar-13 14:14:04

I am sorry.
I think sometimes they just die and we don't find out why.

If she was in the coop with the others and they were ok,I wouldn't think she died from the cold.

willyoulistentome Tue 26-Mar-13 16:01:39

All of our previous losses have been to obvious causes. Like fox/dog attack. Either found mangled , or badly injured and had to be euthanased. Not found one just dead in the coop before. It's horrid, but I'm glad you don't think she froze- that would have been more upsetting than "just upped and died!" She was only a few months old too!

SimLondon Thu 28-Mar-13 22:22:52

She didnt freeze to death, according to the folks at Omlet it doesn't get cold enough in this country for that ever to happen.

countrykitten Fri 05-Apr-13 11:58:12

Sorry you lost your girl. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now