Poorly chicken?

(3 Posts)
Jaynebxl Mon 11-Mar-13 22:03:11

One of our girls was behaving a bit oddly this afternoon. They had been out in the garden for hours and I went out with a tin of sweetcorn to take them back to their run. Usually as soon as I come out of the back door they all come running to meet me, and today all 6 of them came. I threw them some of the sweetcorn and 5 of them did their usual pecking and ate all the kernels. But one of the girls just stood by and watched. Then I ran to the end of the garden like I usually do, and most of the girls came running with me, but this one hen stayed back down near the house. I shut the 5 in the run and went back for her but she just stood there not moving. I gave her a few kernels but she didn't take any notice. Then I started trying to chivvy her up the garden but she wouldn't really move unless I was pushing her so in the end I picked her up and took her back. I know it's not a big thing but it's the first time I've seen any of them not go for food, and not come running up the garden with me.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Sorry, not sure what to suggest, but hope she is ok. I have one who holds back from the bunfight, but she always has. She is very timid compared to the others, and if you approach her she is a bit like a dog, kind of rolls down waiting to be stroked or picked up!

It's incredibly cold, perhaps she was just a bit out of sorts and hopefully she will be keen for the treats today.

Jaynebxl Tue 12-Mar-13 15:05:13

She ate porridge this morning and did go for some sweet corn so hopefully it was just a blip. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now