Chicken manure - how to use?

(13 Posts)
WhatKindofFool Tue 26-Feb-13 11:02:26

So far she seems to be under the impression that it's a waterbutt and I've not told her otherwise .

LOL!

nickelbabe Thu 21-Feb-13 20:31:22

good idea.
we can't do that becauuse the only bit of the garden not taken over by chicken ryn is the path and a narrow border grin

Pixel Thu 21-Feb-13 19:30:26

Well this is what my mum has told me. My grandad used to move his large chicken run around to fresh grass whenever it got too horrible (he had a smallholding) and then the manky patch he would dig over and plant onions straight into it.
Personally I'm using a plastic compost bin that was given to me. It's fine atm but I'm praying it won't pong in the summer as my neighbour's patio is on the other side of the fence. So far she seems to be under the impression that it's a waterbutt and I've not told her otherwise blush.

nickelbabe Tue 19-Feb-13 12:49:52

think more bog of eternal stench.

nickelbabe Tue 19-Feb-13 12:49:01

oh it's soooo much worse

sieglinde Tue 19-Feb-13 10:46:54

I'm used to it. I also have to clean out their roost grin

nickelbabe Tue 19-Feb-13 10:27:57

that is true, but would you risk it? grin

sieglinde Tue 19-Feb-13 09:51:14

I had heard you could tell when they were ready by the loss of the smell....

nickelbabe Tue 19-Feb-13 08:50:31

oh the smell! the smell!
when you open them to use.
oh my!
shock

sieglinde Tue 19-Feb-13 08:45:12

Nickel, what will I die of? Thanks for the rest, though. smile

nickelbabe Mon 18-Feb-13 19:48:11

enough money

nickelbabe Mon 18-Feb-13 19:47:50

not in bags! you'll die!

some plants you can put it straight in the soil.
others don't like it.
you can dig it into the soil in the winter and it'll be fine for spring.

but really, it won't take long to create a compost heap - choose a sunny but out of the way spot and just throw stuff onto it.
or buy a bin from the council for quite cheap.
if you don't have enough, then a heap in the corner is fine.

sieglinde Mon 18-Feb-13 11:04:54

My darlings produce a lot of lovely grin manure in their roost, but since I don't have a compost heap as such I'm not sure how best to rot it down for my garden. Do I need to build a stinky open-sided pen? Or will it work just to stick it in a plastic bin or bags?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now