keeping only two chickens in an Eglu Cube, will they get cold?

(7 Posts)
Bonniemum24 Sun 26-May-13 07:47:58

Hi all I'm hoping to get chickens in the next couple of months, please can anyone lead me in the right direction as to
1. Plastic or wooden coops
2. Do they need grass
3. Any other tips please
Thank you
Jane

TunipTheVegedude Sun 03-Feb-13 14:56:44

I've heard people talking about putting an upside-down cardboard box in there to make the space smaller.

DeckSwabber Thu 24-Jan-13 20:42:11

I like the cube because the hens are able to go up to roost which is their natural instinct.

Two hens will probably be making themselves cosy in the nest box. I usually find two of mine in there, one in the doorway to the nest box, and one in the roosting area. Just make sure they have plenty of straw (in the roosting area as well if you are concerned), and you can shut the door at night which will help.

chickchickchickenkeeper Mon 21-Jan-13 21:07:32

Virgil, you could talk to omlet or on the forums about swapping your cube for an eglu (+ money to make up the difference) as a lot of people are often keen to go bigger

chickchickchickenkeeper Mon 21-Jan-13 21:06:13

You could get a snuggle safe heat pad to put in to keep them warm, along with lots of hay, but as Virgil said, more chickens = more body warmth to keep them toasty.
The trouble with chickens is they can be addictive and you run the risk that if you buy an eglu you will want more then 3, but if you buy a cube straight off, you won;t necessarily fill it.
I have an eglu, wish I'd bought a cube BUT know for me an eglu is big enough :D

Virgil Mon 21-Jan-13 20:59:08

I have two in a cube and am very worried about them getting cold in this weather. In the summer it's not an issue but the idea is for there to be up to ten in there keeping each other warm. A cube for two is not a great idea. It's certainly not cosy for them.

Also unless you're rolling in it the cube is not worth the money and I regret spending so much on ours.

lolalotta Sun 20-Jan-13 21:23:52

I love how roomy the Eglu Cube looks and the aesthetics of it blush ...but we are not sure how many chickens we want to keep. We planned on starting off with a pair and seeing how we get on, but am worried that only two in the Cube will get cold at night? What do you think? Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now