Chicken not eating

(4 Posts)
schilke Mon 17-Dec-12 15:37:51

I have had my 4 hybrids since mid September, so am new to this. Today one of them is not eating. She is drinking, not gasping at all. She is moving about, but not in her normal way and not as chatty. I say not eating, she is looking about the ground, but not eaten any pellets. She has laid a perfectly normal egg. She laid yesterday too. She started laying about 3 weeks ago.

Do chickens have "off" days? She doesn't look ill. No weird poo around. Her crop feels soft. Earlier on she was stretching her neck up a lot, but has stopped now. I am not sure what to do.

mummymeister Mon 17-Dec-12 16:09:50

you are watching her closely so if she is sick you will know by tomorrow. neck stretching no problem unless she starts gasping a bit which is a sign of gape. if really worried can you separate her so if she has something the others wont get it. keep checking also in case egg bound and good luck.

schilke Mon 17-Dec-12 16:45:42

Thankyou. I have just given them free run of the garden for a bit. She was pecking at grass and scratching around - just not interested in pellets or feed & not moving as quickly as usual. Hopefully tomorrow she will be back to normal.

schilke Tue 18-Dec-12 07:59:50

She seems better today. Eating out the feeder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now