Is there a good way of re-homing chooks? Or will it be Ok?

(13 Posts)
SledsImOn Fri 14-Dec-12 13:38:35

We've had our girls for a couple of years now and they are lovely...just the three of them left now.

They aren't laying at the moment - probably the winter, but I don't know if they will again. That doesn't matter to me - we always gave our eggs away to neighbours anyway as we don't really eat them.

The thing is I am finding it quite hard to cope with them, as we have a very big garden, they're right at the end and it's a slippery bog at the moment, I have SPD and am due to have my third baby in a few weeks. Basically it's getting almost impossible, but I am managing to get out there with food and water - just!

If I can keep them I will. I'm just scared of not being able to cope, it's very difficult at the moment though it may get easier once the baby arrives and I regain the use of my body.

I just wondered, does anyone know if there is likely to be someone wanting these lasses - or if people just don't bother once they get past a year or so, and the eggs drop off? Is there a good way to find them a new home? I am committed to them for as long as they need me, it's just so so hard.

Or has anyone got through this stage, and then the newborn baby bit and did things get easier? I think I just need reassurance more than anything, that it isn't going to get even harder.

Mindingalongtime Fri 14-Dec-12 19:58:40

Mine are 4 years old and still laying so your still have a lot left in them. Where are you?

SledsImOn Sat 15-Dec-12 07:14:36

Hi, thankyou - sorry, very early night!! I'm glad that they could still be seen as 'useful' to someone, though that sounds so harsh sad I've never really wanted them for the eggs tbh though our neighbours appreciated them.

We're in Kent btw. One is a Light Sussex, she's the biggest, there's a copper black and then a teeny tiny brown legbar, I think she is - or is it leghorn - very pretty, and lays tiny white eggs. Well she's bigger than a bantam but a small hen, iykwim. I think it's her that kept laying all autumn when the others had thrown in the towel smile

SledsImOn Sat 15-Dec-12 07:16:11

leghorn! I couldn't remember which it was! But this is the image of her.

Pixel Sat 15-Dec-12 16:07:24

It sounds as if the condition of the ground is the main problem at the moment, as I've got full mobility and am still finding it difficult to get down the garden without falling over. Hopefully the weather will improve and make things easier. Could you put down some rubber mats or something to help you? I've got a couple of £1 car mats from Tesco to put on the worst bit, though I expect it will ruin what is left of the grass underneath.

SledsImOn Sat 15-Dec-12 17:08:31

Do you know Pixel, you're right - it is a matter of breaking it down into what the actual problem is, or problems are, and there are two - one, my body won't work properly and I'm finding anything rather difficult atm - but that ought to ease up in a few weeks once jnr is here (well it had better!)
I've bought a huge sack of pellets today and it's got to stay in the boot till my parents come tomorrow, then they have to unload it for me which I find hugely embarrassing. They shouldn't have to do this.
But it's the only way and I do hope it is temporary. That's one problem solved for now and I'm finding ways round the other stuff, like the drinker - taking water there to refill it, rather than carting it back and forth to the tap, etc.

Second issue is very much the ground! It's a 100ft garden, they are in a shed/walk in run about 70ft up, and it's just a total muddy bog at the moment, full of puddles. I'm sliding around and sinking and it's horrible!
BUT as you say - the weather has to improve at some point. And once it does it'll be far easier to manage.

I think I'm in a sort of panic right now as everything feels much too much to cope with...I just hope that the girls are alright up there, while I deal with the seventy eight other pets we seem to have grin

(not really...3 rabbits, 1 piggy, 1 revolting cat!)

Thankyou for making me think a bit clearer. It's helped a lot.

SledsImOn Sat 15-Dec-12 17:09:47

But if anyone does want to take them on...let me know!

Hi. Whereabouts in Kent are you? We run a hen hotel called Henidorm (google it) and could help out maybe. Totally know what you mean about the boggy mess. I prefer the frosty weather as the ground is harder. We are fully booked with paying guests over Christmas but if you can wait until afterwards then we can come to some arrangement re food etc and look after them while you look after your newborn. Then you can make a decision about what to do afterwards. Bet you'll miss them loads and want them back by then!! Drop me a line. Xx

Mindingalongtime Sun 16-Dec-12 17:54:55

I'd be happy to rehome, but wold have to meet you half way after New Year?

TunipTheVegedude Sun 16-Dec-12 17:59:40

Could you get a neighbour to come and help out with the feeding in return for eggs, just while you're immobile?

I can't believe it won't get easier soon.

SledsImOn Sun 16-Dec-12 18:51:50

Hi guys, wow - thankyou for all the replies.

March - that's ever so kind of you, but I think to uproot them temporarily and then have them back would make me more worried, in a way - I'd rather I either get my head around them staying and find ways to cope, or find them a new home totally, iyswim? But I really appreciate the offer and it sounds like a brilliant set up smile

Tunip = yes, it may well get easier soon - though I am afraid of how I'll cope with a new baby, and them, and all the others! I don't know - it might be fine. I'd not ask our neighbours, lovely as most of them are, as it is a struggle probably for a fit person at the moment with all the rain and we have no eggs! But my Mum brought the pellets through to the back for me this morning, bless her. She is strong for a 60yo!

Minding, that's great if you are willing and happy - I'd be very glad to let you have them, and I can meet you if it isn't a massively long way, or even bring them to you if it's close enough, to save you the trip - you would be doing me (and them) an enormous favour. Whereabouts are you? Please feel free to PM me if you like. We're over in East kent.

SledsImOn Sun 16-Dec-12 18:56:08

By the way I should add, they seem healthy - if a bit pale and moulty at the moment! - they've never had mite, they don't meet with wild birds at all, as their run is covered. I've not wormed them as I've never seen any signs of it, though I can't promise there isn't something I've overlooked recently - but generally, they seem fine and a bit bored smile

louisdog Wed 19-Dec-12 22:35:22

No tips on rehoming I'm afraid - although it just occurred to me that if you sold the housing with them included, and vetted the new owner, that may be a good option?

I wonder if you could move them nearer the house into a much smaller set-up which is more accessible and easier to the house?

Reason I say that is I have a 5 month old baby and just moved mine from a walk in run 100 feet up the garden (similar issues to yours - so muddy and slippery!) to a cheap 6x4 shed next to the house, with small paved run attached, and I am so much happier now with maintaining them. When the current lot die off I am going to just keep a couple in this new set-up. I am also hoping to set up the electric netting around it in the spring and summer.

If you sold your existing set-up it may pay for the new one?

Otherwise, good luck with rehoming them. If they are quite tame that may be a plus point to mention? They arent that old so hopefully people will be interested. If I wasn't over in Wales I would offer them a home myself!

Good luck with the new baby!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now