farewell to chicken keeping

(5 Posts)
dikkertjedap Sat 16-Mar-13 20:50:42

minding a fox often comes back after having taken all chickens to check out if there are any more. So I would be very careful, even during the day. With the cold weather I used to have a fox even come during the day and it was really hard to chase him away, he just ran away for about 30 yards and then waited to see whether I would go away. Foxes can be very persistent. I would consider electric fencing if possible

mindingalongtime Thu 07-Mar-13 18:00:01

I know how you feel, I lost 10 last week, all 5 years old, good layers too, 100+ eggs in Feb.

I didn't have any bodies, just lots of feathers, enough to stuff a pillow. I bought some more this week and the poultry breeder said he'd heard of at least 10 other fox strikes last week.

I was in 2 minds whether to get some ore, but I had rehomed 3 hens, for someone moving only days before, they were in an eglu, mine were in the cube in an aviary, but decided that I needed to introduce new ones asap.

I lock mine away now in daylight, whereas I used to go down anytime in the evening.

jamesrojas Thu 07-Mar-13 10:56:45

Yes it is very distressing.

doglover Sun 25-Nov-12 18:03:15

So sorry to hear your news. Try to remember that you gave your girls a wonderful life - full of freedom and fun. Better to have experienced a free-range existence rather than a confined one. Having lost several chickens to fox attacks over the years, I do understand how distressing it is: hugs to you x

crkm Sun 25-Nov-12 16:19:36

after 5 years of having chickens - I lost my last two to a fox. I have always let my girls free roam in the day with no problems. On the one day I pop in to see my mum after school and got home later than normal - both my girls were dead. One left in the garden - the other no where to be seen. I feel terrible - in that one was an old lady and deserved a better end. So my husband is now dismantling the run and egloo sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now