Ducks

(7 Posts)
finethanks Sat 17-Nov-12 14:17:19

I would like to get a couple of ducks. We have a large pond with an island. Will they just stay there if we feed them ?

mummymeister Tue 20-Nov-12 16:44:05

You can clip their wings - you only need to do one side and it is completely painless for them but you would need to do it every year. have to work out also how you are going to clean them out as ducks make a hell of a mess and also how to keep he who cannot be named away. you also have to be aware that other ducks might fly in too once they see food and shelter. good luck

I had ducks when I was younger, one flew away, one became mr foxes dinner and the other moved next door hmm you would definatly need to clip their wings. They are very smelly and very messy and lay their eggs where ever they please just to be warned, however they are gorgeous and very affectionate.

finethanks Tue 20-Nov-12 21:42:42

Thanks everyone !

TataClaire Fri 21-Dec-12 22:15:21

Depends on the kind of ducks you get - we have 3 male Rouen ducks and they're a heavy breed and can't do any more than flap lots and sort of launch themselves into their pond! Amusing to watch and no need to clip wings smile

Aquelven Mon 24-Dec-12 16:47:43

I have ducks, and geese, kept them all my life so had lots of different breeds over the years. Used to have chickens too but not now as I much prefer waterfowl.
My ducks are mostly Call Ducks at the moment, they are very clean to keep compared to bigger ones.
Clip their wings twice a year, just one side as the aim is to throw them off balance.

Pearl61 Wed 16-Jan-13 23:44:53

I love our ducks. We have white and khaki Campbell's. they lay us yummy eggs, are friendly, chat all day and entertain us. They link the garden into the house...sometimes literally!!! They have a couple of large baths and love it best when we change the water. We have had lots of pets, from gerbils to horses but we didnt realise just how much fun the ducks wouldbe to keep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now