Duck keepers - any advice for a new keeper?

(5 Posts)

You sound as if you have it sorted! enjoy!

BinarySolo Mon 05-Nov-12 21:15:25

We were thinking 6 foot high fencing with a roof. They'll have a bath and a separate drinking source that will be poop free! We're not going to bother buying a feeder as we've been advised to feed them what they'll eat in 10 minutes then take the food away. This way they'll associate us with food and will hopefully become tamer.

We people on the end of our row of 4 houses have chickens and have seen mr fox in the day, so we know the fences need to be secure. I looked at eglus but they don't seem anywhere near big enough. Bloody expensive too.

Build your fences high. We lost ten to a fox earlier this year, and we have a gamekeeper.

mummymeister Mon 05-Nov-12 20:39:45

we have ducks (along with the turkeys and chickens) they need to be on some sort of hard standing in their night coop. we used old paving slabs and built the house around this. they like lots of water - need to be able to get in it and throw it over themselves. they are by far and away the most destructive of our grass though so you need to bear this in mind. also they too can fall prey to he who cannot be named so you have to make sure you put them away early. we click the flight feathers on ours every year to stop them flying away.5 does seem quite a lot to start with - go for 2 or 3 and see how you get on?

BinarySolo Mon 05-Nov-12 09:47:36

We're just in the process of clearing our massively overgrown garden, the later this month will be getting some ducks!

We're going to buy a shed to house the ducks rather than a hen house and we're going to build a large walk in run with a wire skirt, but let them free range when we're about. We're also getting a very large bath which will be emptied and refilled daily so they can dabble and swim.

We're hoping to get a cayuga, saxony, Bali and 2 runners. We've also been offered mini Aylesbury ducks, which at best guess I think are Pekins, so may also have 1 or 2 of these.

Any advice or tips? I'm inclined to get the initial 5, then if all is going well add the others. We have a very large back garden.

Very excited!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now