Talk to me about worming chickens

(12 Posts)
Consils Wed 31-Oct-12 08:57:06

We have had chickens before and I can't remember what to do re worming. Surely I don't have to take one to the vet in order to get prescription worming stuff? I have never done that before. I have bought some stuff called Verm-X from the pet shop but not used it yet. They are nearly 20 weeks and not laying yet.

I use verm x, not very often though blush I dont get anything from the vet, never had any problems.

I use flubenvet - it's a powder that you can buy online without a vet prescription. You add a measure of the powder to 2kg of layers pellets and mix, then feed the hens only the medicated food for 7 days (make another 2kg batch up if it runs out). You can't eat the eggs for 7 days. Chickens should be wormed every 3/4 months I think.

I can't remember where I bought it from but here is one seller www.animalmedicationdirect.co.uk/flubenvet-1-small-flock-poultry-wormer-60g-pr-5789.html

Consils Wed 31-Oct-12 17:47:56

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?view=att&th=139b7004834ff63e&attid=0.1&disp=vah&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P9zGBPy9VdunMxNMB4IB5wa&sadet=1351672481282&sads=wCjnH6Fnw17kGytWm-VXSLaUIJ0&sadssc=1

TunipTheHollowVegemalLantern Wed 31-Oct-12 17:54:38

Flubenvet is more effective than Verm-X but there's a Flubenvet supply problem at the moment. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I run out of Flubenvet - perhaps Frontline?

zillyzilly Wed 31-Oct-12 18:40:30

Oh, thanks for the Flubenvet tips. smile I was wondering why Verm-X didn't seem to be working.

Crikeyblimey Wed 31-Oct-12 18:49:49

I use Verm-X cos there is no egg withdrawal time. I've had no problems with it. Just add to the pellets for 3 days and Bob's your uncle (so to speak). I worm them every 2 months.

There's no egg withdrawal time with Flubenvet. Apparently you can't eat the actual chicken for 7 days though grin.

I give mine Verm-X every month as a preventative as it does something to their gut which means the worms don't like it...or something. Then I worm properly with Flubenvet every 6 months just to be sure.

I got my local vet to order Flubenvet for me and they had it in the next day (no postage costs then). They don't actually need to see a chicken or anything. At least mine weren't interested.

Consils Wed 31-Oct-12 22:13:02

Thanks. I have ordered some.

Consils Thu 01-Nov-12 00:21:11

thanks

notasausage Fri 02-Nov-12 20:56:26

Marriages do layers pellets with Flubenvet in them so no need to mix. Available on line.

MrsBovary Mon 12-Nov-12 10:25:31

I usually use Verm-X. I've been looking for Flubenvet but it's been out of stock everywhere. But have just received an email from Happychicks saying they have some in stock. Thought I would post in case others are still looking also.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now