New ex-batts and winter

(6 Posts)
boschy Fri 26-Oct-12 15:21:32

I am getting 7 ex-batts on Nov 4 (had 4 about 2 years ago, of which we are now down to 2).

They are going into my walk-in-run, which will be divided in half so the existing 5 'old' girls have access to coop and the outdoors electric fenced area.

Just one question, I am a bit concerned about the cold weather and lack of feathers/general not being 100%-ness. In their sectioned off area they will have a couple of nesting boxes, and the WIR itself is wind-sheltered with plastic screening on 3 sides. Will they be warm enough?

boschy Sun 04-Nov-12 21:34:10

Well, the 8 Essex Girls arrived today - quite bald, but much better physically than the last lot. They have eaten,and drunk; had to put them to bed (twice!) but all tucked up in lots of straw!

Pixel Mon 05-Nov-12 17:31:53

Are you any good at knitting? grin

nickelrocketgoBooooooom Mon 05-Nov-12 17:42:45

they'll be fine, but yes, making a winter cardigan is a good idea.
the feathers take ages to grow back.
the winter cardi will make it take longer, but that's better than them being cold.

nickelrocketgoBooooooom Mon 05-Nov-12 17:47:06
boschy Fri 09-Nov-12 11:24:53

think I'll give the cardis a miss! but like the tip about extra insulation on the housing - at the moment they are in a plastic covered crate for sleeping and they seem fine. once they are up to ladders they can go into the cube with the other 5 and will be toasty warm in there.

they are all mingling, new and old now - gave up with my sectioned-off area after I discovered the 'wrong' chickens on either side of the barrier!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now