Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

A pet turkey

(5 Posts)
slipperandpjsmum Fri 19-Oct-12 19:02:48

A friend of mine has a pet turkey. She says she is a wonderful pet. Does anyone else own one? What is it like having a turkey in your life?

Is your friend fattening it up for Xmas, or is it a genuine pet??

slipperandpjsmum Fri 19-Oct-12 20:00:23

No, No! She rescued it from the Christmas table last year!!

mummymeister Sat 20-Oct-12 21:27:05

WE have 3 turkeys - 2 males one female. they live in an enclosed area with our 2 runner ducks and seem to get on well with them. they are incredibly stupid - a bit like chickens only with less brains but we love them. they do come when you whistle but one male has taken a bit of shine to my dd and keeps displaying whenever he sees her and sidling up to her which is a bit disconcerting. we are going to swop one of the males with my dsis and we will eat one of hers and she will eat ours. this is the plan but not sure if we will actually do it though smile

mute Sun 21-Oct-12 16:53:51

Very easy to keep. We rear some for Christmas each year. Be careful you don't get a flighty breed though unless your happy for them to roost on your roof at night. Recommend a bronze for a chilled out breed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now