Chickens arriving today!

(11 Posts)
Bramblesinafield Sun 23-Sep-12 09:56:52

Lovely! I have 8 in a cube with 4 m run, but they free range in a bigger fenced area most days. Mine are all starting to go into their winter moult now, so few eggs. My friend with new season hybrids is keeping me supplied.

We've hatched twice, but use a standard eglu as a broody house, the cube isn't suitable for chicks. So I've got girls I watched hatch grin

Viewofthehills Sat 22-Sep-12 21:53:30

Extra space then! You could hatch eggs next spring...

schilke Sat 22-Sep-12 18:57:17

The blurb says 6 medium chickens with 2m run and 10 with 3m run.

The omlet man said to leave them in there for 5 days before I let them out in to fenced off part of the garden - so they can get used to their home.

Viewofthehills Sat 22-Sep-12 18:07:06

Congratulations! I hope you grow to love them as much as I do mine.
How many have you got space for in a cube?

TunipTheVegemal Sat 22-Sep-12 18:04:00

That's a nice mix of colours.
They're mesmerising when they're new and you're getting used to how they behave.

schilke Sat 22-Sep-12 17:20:05

We have them grin Some of the colours we had reserved had gone.....not much point in reserving it seems! So we have a coral, a ranger, a columbine and a copper. They seem to get on alright - all been run together.

I can't stop watching them. He said they are 18 weeks old, so would expect them to start laying in 3-4 weeks.

TunipTheVegemal Sat 22-Sep-12 15:08:52

Have you got them? Any eggs yet?

I was getting pissed off with my 4. I got them 3 weeks ago, I got 3 from one in the first week then none since. Then this morning I found a hidden nest with 4 in it from one that I had been thinking was ready to start any time.
The one that laid first seems to be moulting which I think was just triggered by the stress of the move so hopefully she'll start again soon.

schilke Sat 22-Sep-12 10:16:20

4 hybrids - a blue, an amber, a coral and a ranger.

Dc4 couldn't sleep last night either. She was worrying about deciding on a name.

TunipTheVegemal Sat 22-Sep-12 10:08:09

Have fun! What are you getting?

Bramblesinafield Sat 22-Sep-12 09:43:58

Enjoy. They are lovely company smile

schilke Sat 22-Sep-12 09:39:28

I am more excited than the children. I could hardly sleep!

Cube arrived yesterday and the omlet man assembled it - I didn't realise that was going to happen. I think dh was almost a little disappointed when he got home. He pretends to hate assembling things.

Picking up our 4 girls this afternoon. Only 4 hours to wait.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now