Not Allowed Chickens

(9 Posts)
TunipTheVegemal Wed 15-Aug-12 21:44:26

Would anyone else even notice? I only found out about my next-door neighbour having some when I got mine. If you don't get a cockerel they're really not noisy.

Not that it matters, given what Nickel said.

nickelbarapasaurus Tue 07-Aug-12 14:26:39

ps: "allotment" is specified in the act to include back gardens

nickelbarapasaurus Tue 07-Aug-12 14:25:25
nickelbarapasaurus Tue 07-Aug-12 14:23:07

nursing homes advocate keeping chickens - it's good for the residents' mental wellbeing grin

nickelbarapasaurus Tue 07-Aug-12 14:22:04

your neighbour is wrong.
your right to keep chickens is a statutory one, and no matter what your contract says, you are allowed to keep chickens

allotment act 1950.

rawlesy Sun 05-Aug-12 13:03:22

One side of our street is ok but our side backs onto a nursing home so think we'd probably have a lot of complaints unfortunately.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Thu 02-Aug-12 22:45:28

Doesn't it only apply if someone actually complains about them? Otherwise what effect does it actually have? We've got the same clause in our deeds but my neighbour keeps chickens and no-one bats an eyelid. Is there a legal precedent for breaking the rules of the deeds?

TeamEdward Thu 02-Aug-12 20:58:47

Our deeds say we can't have chickens, pigs or other non-domesticated animals.
Although I have heard that recently chickens have been re-classified as "domestic".
I'm sure someone will come on with better information than me though!

rawlesy Wed 01-Aug-12 22:25:15

Really hacked off as we were going to get some chickens but neighbour said we should check our deeds. Looked and found a clause dating back to 1938 saying that we can't have chickens. Not happy sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now