This topic is for registered charities to post about their organisation or campaigns. PLEASE NOTE: Mumsnet does not check/endorse any of the charities posting here, and folk considering donating funds should be aware that they do so at their own risk.

just wanted to post this sad story in case anyone wanted to support this good cause...

(18 Posts)
worriedsick100 Mon 23-Dec-13 19:10:11

please remove if I have reached a rule but it made me so sad and wanted to publicise. At least this young man may be granted peace of mind - many small donations being made on the fundraisding page (bottom of the article):

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2528431/Father-dying-cancer-sees-dream-buying-home-family-come-true-thanks-10-000-donation-X-Factor-judge-Sharon-Osbourne.html

worriedsick100 Tue 24-Dec-13 12:22:19

I did think it odd not to have seen one reply to this sad story - no one is going to see this on the charity board are they? Any chance it can go back to "chat" please where people may see it - this is not a "charity" it is a news story. Thanks

AmberLeaf Tue 24-Dec-13 12:26:27

I usually only look on 'active' and 'threads Im on'

Ive seen this going around facebook this last week.

Very sad. His children are so young [as is he]

worriedsick100 Tue 24-Dec-13 12:53:08

I know at least financially he may get some peace of mind as I expect this is playing on his mind. I have asked mods to move this back onto "chat" for this very reason - so far no reply sad ) - there is no traffic on the "charity" board and to be fair a bit insulting for him to be seen as a "charity". This is not the case this is a human interest story and I am sure lots of mums would like to know and make a small donation if they did and were able to. There but for the grace of god....

If you could ask for this to be moved back too that might help? Thanks

AmberLeaf Tue 24-Dec-13 14:32:46

I will report your OP and ask for it to be moved to Chat again smile

mercibucket Tue 24-Dec-13 17:21:43

can you start a thread in chat then one of us can add the link to the charity?

worriedsick100 Tue 24-Dec-13 17:37:30

Not sure I understand - wont that just get moved here again? please can you explain a bit more? Thanks

mercibucket Tue 24-Dec-13 18:30:02

i was just thinking it could be a general interest story, then a link would probably be posted to the charity page anyway

worriedsick100 Tue 24-Dec-13 18:48:13

I had it on chat originally but mumsnet moved it here! like I said he is not a charity.

Asked MNHQ to move it but no answer from them all day sad

AmberLeaf Tue 24-Dec-13 22:08:26

MNHQ replied to me, they said they think this is the right section as it is fundraising.

They also recommended bumping the thread so it shows up in active conversations.

lougle Tue 24-Dec-13 22:15:29

It is very sad, but there are lots of people with terminal illnesses that won't be able to afford to buy a home before they die. Also, without being unkind, home ownership comes with a huge price. It isn't just the house itself. It's the buildings insurance, the repair and upkeep, etc. At least with rental the family will be supported if they have financial difficulty.

Don't get me wrong, but this just doesn't seem to be a 'wise' aim and there are many, many people who would really like to secure their family's future with a home of their own, but it's just not possible.

AmberLeaf Tue 24-Dec-13 23:19:54

The original aim of this, as started by his friend, was to get some financial support for this man and his young family while he was being treated for cancer and unable to work.

Obviously things took a sad turn and his illness is now terminal. I imagine that the campaign managing to raise so much has made them think that it is a good idea to do something more lasting and helpful in the long term for the family.

worriedsick100 Wed 25-Dec-13 05:41:27

lougle I am speechless at your message. Really I am. What don't bother helping one family as there are lots of other families suffering the same? Nonsense. Should it not be help one even if it is just one? Just because there are unfortunately many other people who cannot afford their own house does not mean this family should not be helped to do this or whatever else they decide they need. On that basis why would anyone ever help another person?

Unfortunately when someone is diagnosed with this dreadful disease worry about ones family afterwards is right up there. When given there is nothing else that can be done message it must be even worse.

The only thing "Felix" can be given at this stage is the peace of mind that his family will be ok. Telling him that there are others in the same position won't really do it will it.

Happy Christmas.

worriedsick100 Wed 25-Dec-13 05:42:12

Amberleaf also thanks so much for your help with this. smile

lougle Wed 25-Dec-13 07:23:28

worriedsick it isn't 'helping a family' to buy them a house hmm Of course you worry about your family, but I don't think that extends to asking people to chip in for a house.

AmberLeaf Wed 25-Dec-13 07:38:06

you're welcome OP.

worriedsick100 Wed 25-Dec-13 08:17:43

lougle I don't think you have read the above posts at all have you? AmberLeaf did kindly try to explain to you but I think to no avail. And "he" isn't asking - he is fading away in a hospital bed. It is those that love i that are trying to give him this peace of mind.

Anyway off to celebrate with my family and will spare a thought for this poor family really going through it today.

Anyone else reading this that wants to contribute there is a link at the bottom of the article I think.

Happy Christmas to you all.

lougle Wed 25-Dec-13 08:20:03

I get it, worriedsick. I'm saying that I don't think it's an appropriate way of dealing with the situation. I'm entitled to my view, you know. I don't have to agree with you, and I didn't need anyone to 'kindly' explain anything!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now