This topic is for registered charities to post about their organisation or campaigns. PLEASE NOTE: Mumsnet does not check/endorse any of the charities posting here, and folk considering donating funds should be aware that they do so at their own risk.

New LEGO Charity Feedback

(9 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

kevbags Thu 12-Sep-13 18:01:31

Hello,

I'll apologise if this should be in the paid section. I wasn't sure so thought I should just go for it.

Earlier this year I put together an event to raise funds to buy LEGO to donate to childrens wards worldwide. Nearly £5,000 was raised and LEGO worth over £10,000 has been given to twelve hospitals in the UK and beyond.

I'm in the process now of putting together a charity to continue fundraising and buying. So far I've only requested help within the LEGO community. Hopefully a more official organisation will appeal to the wider world allowing more bricks to be placed into childrens hands.

So the question is as parents is this the type of thing you would find appealing? Beyond the standard donations I'm planning a program where someone would visit the ward and build with children in small groups or one on one for children unable to leave bed.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

pookamoo Fri 13-Sep-13 14:21:23

Great idea, why don't you see if it is something MN would endorse? I'll report my post and you can see what they say!

kevbags Fri 13-Sep-13 14:30:25

That would be great, thank you. I don't want this message to be considered as chugging though. I'm probably around six weeks away from the website launch. I doubt that will be as grand as it sounds ;-)

I've certainly not joined to ask for donations. Definitely about the concept which is hardly ground breaking I know but hopefully effective.

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 13-Sep-13 17:35:48

Thanks for bringing this to our attention -we'll keep an eye on this to see how folks feel about it!

kevbags Fri 13-Sep-13 18:05:40

I can post a link to what has happened so far if thats allowed? To be honest this wasn't my intention when I started out. I thought it would be a little fundraiser and I would get to give my local hospital and a few others some boxes of LEGO. Things kind of spiralled from there.

I know the support is strong from the LEGO community but that is hardly a surprise. I would love to hear any feedback from Mums and Dads though be it positive or negative. I know its been good from friends in r/l but they are maybe not the most objective ;-)

pookamoo Sat 14-Sep-13 00:45:05

Well I will see if I can bump this thread from time to time.

Lego is massive in our house with the two DC aged 5 and 2, (as much as with DH aged 35) and it is always something that makes a nice gift.

Are Lego supporting you? I'd like to hope they would give you some for free!

kevbags Sat 14-Sep-13 06:56:42

I thought I would throw the link up anyway. This is the story from start to almost finish. A couple of handovers are still being worked upon. All of the prizes were donated by fellow board members. They might look like small items but minifigs like Mr Gold are "worth" between £400 - £500. It's not a short read but there are lots of messages saying thanks etc that can be read quickly. Maybe not so interesting if you were not directly involved but I think some genuinely funny and touching moments. If the link is naughty I'm sorry.

www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/10463/2013-brickset-raffle-entry-to-raffle-now-closed/p1

LEGO did indeed help out and I'm hoping to get in place an official partnership. This is something that is extremely difficult for small charities but I have good contacts and fingers crossed it will happen.

kevbags Tue 12-Nov-13 12:39:44

Apologies for not updating this sooner. We have been having branding nightmares so it has delayed the website but we are battling on doing what we do best, give away LEGO.

While very unplanned there is currently a set donation drive going on for Bluebellwood Children's Hospice in Sheffield. Launched over the weekend when Amazon had a huge sale so people could take advantage of free delivery.

Over £300 worth of sets has currently arrived at my door. Everyone who donates a set has a chance to win a £50 voucher at minifigs.me to be spent on their new Christmas range of custom LEGO minifigs.

I've put up a rather rudimentary Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/FairyBricks

I'm rather new at social networking as you can probably tell but feel free to drop by, get involved by donating or spreading the word. Thanks for reading any questions don't hesitate to ask.

kevbags Mon 20-Jan-14 19:40:59

Taken a little longer than expected but we have a website at last :-)

http://fairybricks.org/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now