This topic is for registered charities to post about their organisation or campaigns. PLEASE NOTE: Mumsnet does not check/endorse any of the charities posting here, and folk considering donating funds should be aware that they do so at their own risk.

To be disappointed (royal baby related)..

(111 Posts)
curlew Wed 24-Jul-13 08:13:40

...that I started a thread asking for people to make donations to Maternity Worldwide while Kate was in labour and only 6 people did?

crashdoll Thu 25-Jul-13 20:08:03

Breathtakingly arrogant. What insane assumptions about the financial status of MNers! hmm
"Expressed disappointment"??? We are not teenagers breaking a curfew FFS!

CaptainJamesTKirk Thu 25-Jul-13 18:21:58

Exactly what TheFallenNinja said.

I mentioned the Mumsnet demographic because there were so many posts saying that things were too tight financially for people to make any charitable donations. It would have been crass indeed to ask for donations on a forum where the vast majority of people were struggling financially- I do not think this is true of Mumsnet.

So people said they were struggling, but you have decided that this can't possibly true because in your opinion MN is full of Mulberry bag purchasing mothers who don't care about charity.

Seriously I really truly will leave this thread now curlew. You really can't see you're in the wrong. Not for your first post asking for donations, but for you second post (aka this one).

TheFallenNinja summed it up perfectly and with that I leave this thread. You've at least succeeded in making people aware of the charity although not really in a good way.

NatashaBee Thu 25-Jul-13 17:28:51

It would have been crass indeed to ask for donations on a forum where the vast majority of people were struggling financially- I do not think this is true of Mumsnet.

What makes you say that? From all the credit crunch and Aldi/Lidl threads, I'm inclined to disagree with you.

TheFallenNinja Thu 25-Jul-13 17:07:46

Your arrogance is breathtaking.

curlew Thu 25-Jul-13 09:07:02

The charity was referred to me by somebody who does know about these things. It is a cause dear to my heart and I was delighted to find a specific charity working in this area. If anyone has any questions about the charity I would be happy to answer them.

I have said repeatedly that there are loads of people who can't, for many reasons, donate. I have also thanked the people who did.

I mentioned the Mumsnet demographic because there were so many posts saying that things were too tight financially for people to make any charitable donations. It would have been crass indeed to ask for donations on a forum where the vast majority of people were struggling financially- I do not think this is true of Mumsnet.

And finally, I have not moaned. I expressed my disappointment.

Incognitoagain Thu 25-Jul-13 08:50:26

Forgot to say,

I'm sure that your original intentions were good, and that this is a worthwhile cause, but...

You have been VERY naive.

You've chosen to fundraise for a charity you don't know inside out, you can't do it justice, or defend yourself in situations like this. You then moaned when people didn't donate, even when you only heard of it 'yesterday'. Then... You started commenting on people buying designer handbags ( giving you the idea we are all loaded) what people spend their money on is their business. If you look carefully, for every thread like that, there are dozens more, of people really struggling financially. Then the old guilt trip angle....

I hope you can see why people are so angered by this thread.

Incognitoagain Thu 25-Jul-13 07:53:41

Tbh, I didn't see the original thread but.....

OMG, how ungrateful!!!! If I had donated I would be pretty pissed off by the OPs attitude!!

Perhaps a thread along the lines of, ' thank you so much to all those who donated. I know we're all struggling financially ATM, so your donation is really appreciated ' would be more appropriate.

You should be thankful for any donations, even if it was only 6!!

I think this thread was a bad attempt at guilt tripping people into donating, which seems to have well and truly backfired!!

If I were the OP, I would stay away from fundraising in the future!

CaptainJamesTKirk Thu 25-Jul-13 07:31:16

I'm back again...

So you're getting grumpy and trying to make all of us feel guilty for a charity you hadn't even heard of until now. Nice to know you did your research beforehand, nice to know this is a charity extremely important to you. I've been supporting 2 particular charities for 20 years and wouldn't get grumpy that other people choose not to support it. A charity you discovered a whole 10 minutes before your original thread and you're extremely disappointed in the members of his forum.

And you still fail to acknowledge you don't know how many people donated... It might have been 50, it might have been 2 (yes people do lie you know). But you still come on to complain.

curlew Wed 24-Jul-13 23:25:23

Nope. Hadn't heard of it before yesterday morning. I just took what people said at face value.

LilacPeony Wed 24-Jul-13 23:18:29

I'm still wondering how you know that 6 people donated? Because the OP works for the charity I assume.

I'm still wondering how you know that 6 people donated?

FWIW I read the thread but didn't comment. I had already seen a link to the site on FB but didn't donate as I already give regularly to another charity which does similar work. But you wouldn't know any of this until now... Plenty of people might have read it and donated but not felt the need to post that they had. Likewise people can post that they have donated without actually doing so. You really have no way of knowing.

curlew Wed 24-Jul-13 14:08:21

I get it. I just don't agree with you!

SilverOldie Wed 24-Jul-13 14:06:25

And you STILL don't get it. Hides thread.

Still wonder what kind of fun you thought it would be.........I'm guessing thatvery few people viewed donating on-line to charity as being a fun activity.

Casmama Wed 24-Jul-13 13:53:08

You come across as being very pious. I presume you were looking or a long list of people to comment on the thread about your wonderful idea so you could pat yourself on the back about how much was raised.

I have no problem with the original idea but think this one is pretty attention seeking and achieves very little.

insanityscratching Wed 24-Jul-13 13:40:30

I think you are in danger of losing the charity support tbh as you are coming across as being particularly churlish. It's your chosen charity so why not tell us what you have done to raise funds for them other than post a link on MN?

curlew Wed 24-Jul-13 13:39:39

"You are still expressing words as if you think posters have a duty to donate"

Nope. Absolutely the opposite!

MissStrawberry Wed 24-Jul-13 13:34:56

You are still expressing words as if you think posters have a duty to donate and guilt tripping them in your 13:20 post.

mindosa Wed 24-Jul-13 13:34:21

Curlew, you are not doing your charity any favours so I would move on if I were you.

CaptainJamesTKirk Wed 24-Jul-13 13:32:12

Leave it curlew you really don't realise how bad you are coming across. How do you know only 6 people donated? You can ask all you want, we regularly have threads asking for sponsorship and charitable donations, but to complain and then try and use 'but you're a mother, how can you not support my chosen charity?' and go on about mulberry bags is just so unnecessary ... Look enjoy yourself on your 'more charitable than you' high horse. I'm out of this thread now.

curlew Wed 24-Jul-13 13:29:42

Happy to debate and "defend" myself- but not against things I didn't say and things that I don't feel- however much you have decided that I do!

AmandaHoldenmigroin Wed 24-Jul-13 13:27:31

I didn't see it.

wigglesrock Wed 24-Jul-13 13:26:09

To be honest it shouldn't matter if I had Mulberry bags coming out of my ears, you asked people to donate, some did, some didn't. But to start a thread complaining and then using the phrases but we are all Mothers .., we are all grown ups as well and choose which charities to support.

I've no huge problem with you asking, but this thread - Christ words fail me.

Ps I must have been one of the few not waiting with baited breath on the baby hmm

This stuff sticks in my throat seriously. Does it make you feel like a better person to do this?? "oh, look at me, I do stuff for charity"

I have worked hard all my life to support my family and give them a better life than I had. If I choose to contribute to a charity (other than the fact the goverment already chooses to give away some of my taxes to support charities) then that is my choice and I wouldn't be crowing all over an internet site about what a good person I am and about how other people are mean and crap.

curlew Wed 24-Jul-13 13:20:49

I did thank them, repeatedly, on then other thread! It would be colossally arrogant to expect everyone, or even most people to donate, but just a few more? On a site populated by mothers? On a day when we were all excited about a high profile birth?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now