This topic is for registered charities to post about their organisation or campaigns. PLEASE NOTE: Mumsnet does not check/endorse any of the charities posting here, and folk considering donating funds should be aware that they do so at their own risk.

Wear purple on Friday!

(15 Posts)
purplewarrier Thu 25-Apr-13 14:34:49

Friday is wear purple for neuroblastoma day. It's trying to raise awareness of neuroblastoma, a childhood cancer which affects 100 children every year, of which 30 will have an aggressive form of the disease. It mostly affects children under 4.

Currently the prognosis is not good as the disease is often discovered when the cancer is already quite advanced. It is very hard to spot in the early stages and is often misdiagnosed as something less serious.

So please wear purple on Friday and tell people why you are doing it- better awareness can save lives.

More information about it at https://www.facebook.com/SmileWithSiddy?fref=ts, and information about neuroblastoma at www.childrenscancer.org.uk/what-is-neuroblastoma/.

purplewarrier Thu 25-Apr-13 18:35:12

Good work on the slimming Jim, we've had someone slim for Siddy too.

purplewarrier Thu 25-Apr-13 18:34:06

It is a horrible disease, so cruel.

The charity Smile with Siddy is raising money for research so we can have the best treatment in this countries, then families won't have to go to America for treatment. If people can get treatment closer to home they can be near their friends and family for support.

If anyone wants to help please look at our Facebook page or www.smilewithsiddy.co.uk. We just got our registration with the charity commission confirmed so it's all systems go now. Most of the fundraising is currently Siddy's family and their friends but it would be great if we could spread the news further.

Thats so sad Purple sad There is another boy local to us who has recently been to USA for treatment but had to stop it early and come home as the cancer has returned. I think at the moment they're trying to decide what to do, but he is very poorly. Its a horrid disease

purplewarrier Thu 25-Apr-13 17:27:35

Thanks all.

I hope Millie-Rose has a better outcome than my friend's little boy- unfortunately he passed away in January just a few months after diagnosis. He was 17 months old.

Please have a look at the Facebook page and like and share.

I have a purple top to wear, got DH one with a purple stripe. Nothing for the boys though, couldn't find anything in the shops.

Wow we live in the same town then! Its such a shame. I follow her facebook page, and seeing her photos is heartbreaking. I'm doing slimming world and our Slim for Good appeal raised money for her family

Sirzy Thu 25-Apr-13 17:21:16

yes thats the one. I was in the same year as her Dad as school even though I haven't seen him since leaving school it really makes you think how delicate life is.

Could well be the same girl then - is it Millie-Rose Heaton?

YoniMeKateMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 25-Apr-13 17:09:26

Hi all,

We're just going to move this to our charities noticeboards in mo.

Sirzy Thu 25-Apr-13 14:45:38

Yes I am.

I will grin

There has been a recent diagnosis near me too (Are you in the north west Sirzy?)

Sirzy Thu 25-Apr-13 14:41:48

I'm in, a little girl from the town I live in has recently been diagnosed with this.

Me too - I can't think of any purple clothes in my wardrobe though so will do mine & DD's nails.

Buzzardbird Thu 25-Apr-13 14:40:48

I'm in!

purplewarrier Thu 25-Apr-13 14:36:14

BTW- name changed for this as my friends know I'll be posting and don't want them to know my usual name grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now