This topic is for discussing changing bags. If you want to buy and sell changing bags, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Is there any point in changing bags?

(15 Posts)
NationalTruss Tue 25-Oct-11 18:24:04

Am I missing something? Been browsing changing bags for my new baby. Then started wondering what the point of them is. Got a changing mat already. Breastfeeding so don't need bottle holders. Why bother?

birdofparadise Tue 25-Oct-11 18:28:06

It's your most vital piece of kit! You may be breastfeeding but you will still need a change of clothes for baby (when he she is sick or has a really messy nappy that leaks), nappies, nappy cream, cleansing wipes, your car keys, a toy or two, the shopping you have just bought, somewhere to put your mat and perhaps in only a few months time, snacks and finger food, your wallet, your baby record for nurse visits etc

almondfinger Tue 25-Oct-11 18:29:18

Complete waste of money, a decent sized handbag got me through 2 children. I cant bear the look of them and you just end up lugging around so much more then you need.

RobynLou Tue 25-Oct-11 18:30:17

I've never had one. not sure if I'm missing something, but I didn't like that they're all shoulder bags and v girly. we mainly use a rucksac because we're always on the bus/train and DH uses it as much as me.
It does make life easier to have a dedicated bag with nappies/wipes nappy sacks then later on snacks and drinks etc in it - then it's always ready to go out, otherwise it's one more thing to sto you getting out the door.
I take far less stuff with us with two children than I did when DD1 was first born though - back then I used to cart around enough stuff to deal with every possible scenario. I think most people are like that smile

casawasa Tue 25-Oct-11 18:30:23

I just put everything in my handbag. The last thing i wanted was an extra bag.

NationalTruss Tue 25-Oct-11 18:30:25

I should have been more explicit. What's the point of an actual changing bag as opposed to any old bag?

DrSeuss Tue 25-Oct-11 18:30:50

You have to carry the nappies and stuff in something. Wipes, cream, breastpads, maternity towels, change of clothes for baby, plastic bags for the clothes they just puked on. Later there's also food, bibs and spoons. We just use a daysack. Much cheaper.

RobynLou Tue 25-Oct-11 18:32:28

no point at all! just something else for them to flog you.

NationalTruss Tue 25-Oct-11 18:32:56

This is baby number 5 so I've used and trashed several already... Now trying not to get suckered into buying something unnecessary. But my tatty freebie fabric bag really is crap.

SootySweepandSue Tue 25-Oct-11 18:36:12

Probably won't need it if you are BF. But if you were to ever need bottles, I did find that occasionally they would leak (lid not on right or lost lids meaning that teat gets pressed etc). I'd have ruined a nice handbag if I hadn't a waterproofed nappy bag.

GHAHSTLYGHOULYpants Tue 25-Oct-11 18:36:55

changing bags-- wipe downable, compartments, nifty accessories like bottle warmer, in-built changing mat, big enough, IMO overpriced.

ordinary bag- might have some of the above, but nothing nifty and baby specific.

i bought a nice big oil cloth shopper from accesorize and used that. ((((((shrugs))))))

Cartoonjane Tue 25-Oct-11 18:37:37

There's a direct link between how much a new mum insists on carrying around with them and how uptight they are/ how much they use their babay as an excuse for not living a full life. I am at fault at the oppeosite end of the spectrum in that once I went out for the day with three month old baby forgetting even to take one nanppy with me. However I just bought some nappies. Not the end of the world. You don't need a hideous changing bag and you don't need to carry a load of stuff with you wherever you go.

RobynLou Tue 25-Oct-11 18:38:44

well then I'd spend the money on a decent sized normal bag rather than a change bag, you'll get something nicer and better made for the same money.

SnapesOnAPlane Tue 25-Oct-11 18:39:37

Ju Ju Be changing bags are all machine washable, including the leather ones.
That's the only reason I bought one tbh. My other leather bags aren't, and I refuse to ruin a lovely bag with baby sick/an exploding nappy that also exploded over the bag/a dirty nappy sack ripping and allowing contents of exploded nappy to leak over the bag/daughter colouring it in.
Hth grin

meditrina Tue 25-Oct-11 18:44:47

They're a bit PFB, but harmlessly so. You need a bag big enough for the clutter you'll need to carry round (estimate space, then double it), and it needs to be easily cleanable. But it doesn't need to be specially marketed item. Just use any bag you like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now