Note: This topic is for discussing changing bags. If you want to buy and sell changing bags, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

travelling with kids / problems/ project

(6 Posts)
threefeethighandrising Mon 17-Oct-11 23:28:27

Oops I should have said "all you really need is a bit of cloth or something" not "it's all ..." ! I hope I'm making sense!

I think there was a thread not too long ago about most useless thing people bought for their babies, perhaps some inspiration there?

threefeethighandrising Mon 17-Oct-11 23:26:49

Another one - again not a design problem but perhaps of interest.

I found a travel changing mat very useful. Actually (besides the waterproofing) it's all you really need is a bit of cloth or something to put the baby on! However the travel mat somehow seems to legitimise the activity, if that makes sense. It carves out a bit of space, and makes it a space for baby changing. It would seem wrong to just change my baby anywhere without the mat but the mat somehow seems makes it a valid thing to do.

Stupid really, but there you go!

threefeethighandrising Mon 17-Oct-11 23:22:16

Actually another big problem is finding rear-facing child seats. For some reason the shops here are just not keen on stocking them although test show they are definitely safer in an accident.

Not really a design problem, but I thought it might be of interest.

bigbabysteps Mon 17-Oct-11 19:05:48

Thanks, this is very helpful!!!! Will have a think.

threefeethighandrising Fri 14-Oct-11 01:38:52

I fins a sling is often much less faff than a buggy, especially if you're not taking much stuff. Much easier to go to a cafe or shop etc without a buggy. Plus nice to have your baby close and snuggly, and it helps your baby regulate their breathing, etc etc I could go oh. Basically slings are great! (Except crotch carriers like the Baby Bjorn which are shockingly awful design, bad for your baby and you).

Buggies are great when you need to carry lots of stuff (assuming the basket in the buggy is big enough - really annoying when it isn't).

Our child used to sleep in the car, but now he doesn't we're planning to get a DVD player for the back of the car, I hope that works to keep hin entertained for at least some of the 12 hour trip to Scotland! He's too young to do activities, needs something to hold his attention.

Problems, hmm ...

We have a rear-facing car seat as it's safer. However this brings a problem that the sun gets in his eyes in the car, which is really not great as he's stuck there.

Removable car seats are a bugger to carry - really awkward weight distribution. Also not designed for your child to sleep in them for long times (bad for back apparently). A solution to these problems would be great! (i.e. a removable car seat which is easy to carry and not bad for the baby to sleep in for expended periods). Or another way to get your baby out without waking them.

Changing bag:
- wipes
- nappies
- change of clothes
- plastic bags (for poo-ey nappies)
- sun tan lotion
- sun hat
- snacks

HTH smile

bigbabysteps Thu 13-Oct-11 22:34:46

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now