which 7 seater car should we get?

(92 Posts)
lizzie9442 Tue 02-Dec-08 19:33:03

My husband and I have 3 children and I am pregnant with our fourth. We are looking to purchase a car with 7 seats but have no idea where to begin. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Joycey29 Wed 13-Mar-13 20:29:04

Love it ! Love it! Love it! grin

Joycey29 Sun 03-Mar-13 19:03:51

Just bought a secondhand new style Seat Alhambra -so cited!!

JoSavage Tue 26-Feb-13 22:41:26

Lovely old v70 with seats in the back!9

dobidobs Tue 20-Nov-12 21:28:26

Sorry, M25

dobidobs Tue 20-Nov-12 21:27:10

I drive a Citroen C8, well, "used to" as I was recently involved in an accident on the M2 and it has just been written off. I'd like to add that it was with a huge trailer, but I came out of it unscathed and my car could have been worse, so that's the "very strong and reliable" box ticked.

Firstly, on the positive side, the makers of this car thought about EVERYTHING a family car needs, from the buttons placed just above the rear view mirror that operates the rear passenger sliding doors and the remote system that operates it as well to the nice cute but very effective "I see you" mirror that is placed in almost the same place as the rear mirror that allows you to watch the little terrors as and when without having to turn around!!! The gimmicks in this car are so cool and very useful.

The negative which is a huge one is that it guzzles petrol. Highly un-economical as you may become a regular at your local petrol station.
I'll miss my car, but I'm now looking for a diesel engine as my courtesy car (a Mitsubishi shogun 7 seater) makes me realise that all the money I spent on petrol would have sorted my Christmas pressies nicely!!!

janew57 Sat 10-Nov-12 05:46:47

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

SoupDragon Fri 17-Aug-12 15:00:45

This is a Zombie thread that will not die.

It was started in 2008 and has been resurrected a few times since smile

ifIsaynodontjustaskdad Fri 17-Aug-12 14:57:18

We have the new model vw sharan and three dd under 3. I love it it fits all three wide car seats safely, the sliding doors mean I can get my kids out even in tight parking spaces and even when grandparents are in two rear seats we can still.get our out n about 360 double buggy in the boot. It doesn't have the best turning circle, but rear parking sensors were great, I think that is the case with all cars that size.

We went with vw because of the crash test results, and, due to Dh haggle fiend, got nearly 9k off list price, with trade in, with all of them we found room to negotiate, both New and second hand. We had also been looking at seat Alhambra, ford galaxy (smax doesnt have sliding doors and not as roomy in back). Citroen made me car sick on the test drive. I had a go in everything I could find that would fit me kids seats, suprised it wasn't that many, eg my sister has 3 boys and a Volvo xc90, but can't fit the three seats across the middle row, so eldest 8is in the boot.

Loueee Thu 16-Aug-12 12:12:53

So many of the 7 seater cars like the Zafira are not really big enough to use all seven seats all of the time. And many of the boot seats will only suit very small children. The other problem with the Zafira is that if you use all the seats you have virtually no boot space. I guess you could look at the new Zafira Tourer which is a bit bigger.

We've had a Ford S-MAX for 5 years now and I would recommend it to anyone. It has three full size seats on the middle row so you can easily fit three child seats and they are all independently adjustable so you can either have more legroom or more boot space or recline them a bit if the kids are having a sleep.

The boot seats are are not massive but are very comfortable for children. And you still have a bit of boot space. Certainly enough for a Maclaren buggy and some bags or small cases. And if you're not using all seven seats the boot is huge.

Although it's quite a big car its nice to drive.

snay Wed 27-Jun-12 09:52:00

Reliability record of Zafira is not great. There are quite a lot of complaints about Zafira specially Zafira's before 2005.

Luckily the market is full with 7 seaters check this website http//7-seater.co.uk. Depends on you budget and your family needs you will find one.

Good luck.

ajej0207 Sun 27-May-12 10:57:05

AVOID zafiras !!!!!! seat belt clasps are not built in so any car seat will land you with crunch issues in an accident , went into halfords to get a car seat for it they only have one suitable for a zafira - 140 quid later ! Had so many faults with it , cat conv blew , inlet manifold went some bolts came off ine xhuast - cost us about 800 quid in first year !
Small boot space with all seats up , middle seats is a bench seat - useless if you need 3 X car seats ! VERY small car ! not much room , drives terribly very standard cars despite price ! feel cheaply made & tinny ! Petrol ones GUZZLE fuel we had a 1.6 and sold it in teh end as we were only getting 26-30 mpg despite servicing it and making sure it has new exhaust system etc ! GRRR maybe better cars for older kids out of car seats !
GRAND scenic by far the best IMO - had it for years ! bulit in blinds , built in rear view mirror ! loads of space ! luxury cars with loads of extras 7 PROPER seats ! can be removed ( we removes middle back so our older child could walk through ! very comfy car again petrols are heavy on fuel had a few issues with sensors ( electrics) which can be problematic but if you research the faults and know someone who will sort it cheap its ok as larger garages do try and cash in on it ! Also coils are prone to go - can cost up to 300 to rectify !
Had galaxy - great car space wise but very heavy on fuel and we found unreliable at times ! down graded to a 5 seater as kiddies got a bit older but
Now ttc again we will be looking at the citeron C8 or a grand scenic again

bronze Fri 16-Mar-12 23:39:32

We've just gone from a disco which I loved but no longer necessary as we live ina town to a chrysler voyager grand which I also like but for different reasons. It is sooo spacious and practical

janew57 Wed 14-Mar-12 21:43:38

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Renoir75 Tue 13-Mar-12 15:49:43

The choice is vast, there are more the 50 cars with 7 seats.
Today, I would say the best 7 seater car is the SEAT Alhambra with the sliding doors.

To have a look to all 7 seater cars and their video reviews go to :

www.All7seaterCars.com

aethelfleda Tue 21-Feb-12 20:53:43

Hi 5babyangels, we did get a Galaxy after looking- but they brought out a new model in 2006 so anything 56 or onwards should have better build quality and reliability (that's according to the Which! Review, I appreiate they aren't always 100%). Time will tell what happens with the tyres and stuff on our 2007 model....

5babyangels Mon 20-Feb-12 23:53:59

I bought a galaxy 7 yes ago, still going, although I wouldn't buy another one tdi1.9 diesel. When it was 3 years old, gear box, clutch went. You go through tyres like clappers, furniture on inside brakes off! Drop links have gone 3 times and drive shaft twice. It's now done 90k and it's 54 plate. It's cost me a fortune in repairs. I've never had a ford before and only keep it as not worth anything now. Wish I'd bought a grand espace as boot space is better, but also fancy sliding doors when u have car seats. Tyres maybe coz it's so heavy and first people carrier I've ever had. I go through 6 tyres a year. Maybe I'll keep it for the kids to wreck forever and buy an old jag for me to drive on my own. Fuel consumption is quite good though!

aethelfleda Mon 20-Feb-12 21:21:01

matron, we've just looked at both the s-max and the Galaxy. Overall there's v little difference: about 10cm less width and length on the S-max, the boot seats have a small amount less leg room.

But what we found (looking at 3-5 year old cars) is that the S-Max is in shorter supply and "trendier": such that buying a second hand s-max will cost you about £2000 more than the equivalent Galaxy! So if you're buying new and fancy a very slightly smaller car then go for the S max but to all intents and purposes it's basically a Galaxy.

SallyBear Sat 18-Feb-12 08:39:44

We have a Peugeot 807 and an S-Max. The S-Max is great as it feels like I am driving a car rather than a bus!! The 807 is great for us (4 kids), as it's a bit like being in the A Team bus, sliding doors and booting the twins out at secondary school!! The s-max still has a reasonable boot even with the third row of seats, but Ford are specific when they say that these are only suitable for children. My 12 yr. olds don't like the back row as there isn't masses of leg room, whereas the middle row has loads. We view the s-max has the second car and the 807 as the main car.

matronryan Sun 12-Feb-12 15:02:59

Planning to buy a galaxy but just seen the S-Max and am now unsure which to get. I have 4 boys - 6 - 11.
Does anyone know if the seats (and the leg room) is the same in both?

Thanks

mum6mum Mon 23-Jan-12 19:55:48

hi mum to 6 here , our grand senic was the best ! could fit my phil and ted in the boot with all the seats up and the big kids still ahd foot room in the back seats , we now have a BONGO ! smile

Chocoholic69 Tue 17-Jan-12 21:47:58

SugaryTits?

S5gbj Sun 15-Jan-12 00:10:43

Audi q7 way to go- big boot and 7 seats

I have the Chrysler Voyager 2.8 diesel. LOVE it. Very economical with fuel, DC are 18, 17, 15 and almost 3 and I usually have a couple of other stragglers in there too for good measure. Sliding doors are a godsend, as is the DVD player - recently moved back from Spain and it kept the small irksome urchin quiet for the entire length of Spain and France wink.

sambageeni Tue 03-Jan-12 20:11:46

we have 3 kids and have a touran which I love. We are considering having a 4th but would need a bigger car as the seats in the boot are not proper seats. Avoid this car I would suggest!

Jane2012 Tue 03-Jan-12 13:10:30

I just paid £200 to secure my KIA SEDONA @ CARGIANT.... I heard wonderful and bad things about the car... can anyone give me a real summary about this particular car as I need to pick it up on friday. we been looking for a 7 seater car and we loved the space that AKI SEDONA offers, it looks like a great car and i dont want to regret buying it.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now