which 7 seater car should we get?

(92 Posts)
lizzie9442 Tue 02-Dec-08 19:33:03

My husband and I have 3 children and I am pregnant with our fourth. We are looking to purchase a car with 7 seats but have no idea where to begin. Does anyone have any recommendations?

AJ27 Sun 01-Aug-10 20:49:19

It really depends on your budget. If you can afford an X5, audi q7, volvo xc90 then lucky you. But if your like me your probably wiser staying at the Zafira and Kia Carens end of the 7 Seaters. This 7 Seater Cars website helped me to decide: www.7-seater-cars.co.uk. It lists all the 7 Seater cars available to buy in the UK.

ReneRusso Sun 01-Aug-10 20:55:39

this is a very ancient thread - perhaps the OP has resolved the problem by now grin
(but I love my Renault grand scenic btw)

Ceolas Mon 02-Aug-10 22:33:48

It is an ancient thread but one that comes up time and time again.

buttonmoon78 Wed 04-Aug-10 12:39:04

DH has a Mercedes Vito. Tho at the moment we only have 3 I'm working on dh for no 4 so I might need something else too. I've currently got a small family hatch but with dh being away so much I feel it would be sensible to have somethins larger for me too. We'll see if he agrees to either!

grover38 Mon 03-Jan-11 22:34:51

We have a ford galaxy with fold down seats and have been really pleased with it! Very easy to drive and good leg room throughout!

rebeccam3 Fri 18-Feb-11 14:05:14

my head is getting seriously wrecked. i have been looking for a seven seater for 6 months now. i cant go anywhere with my family!! arrgh.

There doesnt seem to be any perfect 7 seater.

Heres what I want!
The highest safety rating its possible to give a car!...never heard of that NCAP thingy but i would want a ten star on it even if ot only goes up to five (!)
Sliding doors
A decent boot with all the seats up-why oh why are the boot spaces so bad?
Proper seats that you can sit in comfortably for long distances
Easy parking with sensors
Good visibility
Value for money
Fit two forward facing car seats and one rear facing car seat really comfortably without a struggle
Leather seats (for the mess)

Does it exsist? Seriously doubting it. now i just have to decide which points I have to strike off!

buttonmoon78 Sat 19-Feb-11 00:43:39

Have you tried a Mercedes Vito? We had the dualiner until recently which was ace and are aiming for a dualiner with 3 seats in the front for when dc4 arrives in July.

Mahoosive boot (think 150+ bottles of wine plus a fortnight's luggage and still as much space to spare).

Ours was lovely leather, all creature comforts, full size seats throughout. No parking sensors but you can get them fitted.

Best of all (from DH's POV) it had a 3 litre Brabus tuned engine (diesel) so it went like stink. Not that we were ever so irresponsible as to find out! wink

rebeccam3 Sat 19-Feb-11 20:59:40

Hi buttonmoon78-thanks for that. I have been really looking At the Mercedes viano which looks great.I haven't done any research on the Vito-will look at it now though thanks. I am going to look at the vianos next week-just worried they might be a bit too big. Great to know u had a positive experience. Any negative views out there on it?

buttonmoon78 Sat 19-Feb-11 21:08:54

Well, many people say it's a bit van like but if you want boot space plus enough seats then your options are pretty limited!

The Viano is huge by comparison. The Vito you can (just about) park in a normal space at the supermarket and even in every multi storey we tried. For what it's worth, we had a compact chassis. Really, it's not compact. Obviously, everything's relative but seriously, compact it ain't!

Beamur Sat 19-Feb-11 21:11:16

Used to have a Zafira, nice to drive but quite small really and I wouldn't want to use the extra seats on a regular basis, they only suit medium sized kids and don't feel terribly safe - I used to worry about being rear ended when they were in use.

threecurrantbuns Sat 05-Mar-11 21:55:25

I have a grand scenic and used one of the boot seat for the first time today when looking after our niece, and it made me very nervous didnt look very safe at all and the seat belt didnt look close enough to the seat!

Anyone else thought this.

Im gutted as was considering a fourth sometime in the next yr or two but would need to use one of the boot seats and couldnt afford another car sad

Chris42 Wed 28-Sep-11 20:22:14

Hi,

I realise this is a bit of an old thread but we need a bigger car and we're looking at 7 seaters. I'm torn between a VW Touran or a Mazda5. Does anyone have any experience of these?

Also, the Peugeot 5008 gets some rave reviews. Again, anyone got any comments?

I'll probably buy a 2008 model as a brand new one is out of my budget.

Any help and advise would be most appreciated! Thanks.

icooksocks Fri 21-Oct-11 14:39:28

I second the VW Sharan. 1.9tdi

I have one and its fab.

louisemc26 Sun 13-Nov-11 12:22:22

we have the peugoet 807 (well did untill last sunday when someone drove into the side of it and wrote it off!!!) have to say it withstood the impact very well both my kids were in car and neither of them injured.
Anyway we loved our 807 (same as citroen c8) found it very roomy, plenty of boot space even with rear seats up and proper seats. The sliding doors are also a god send.
We have just been given a peugeot 5008 as a courtesy car, and although it looks very nice and is all singing, all dancing with many handy features such as built in rear blinds, under floor storage etc w have found the rear fold up seats to be very small and a bit too close to the rear windscreen for our liking.

EllieSpoon Thu 17-Nov-11 23:12:08

Hi all, I've got to give another big vote for the Volvo XC90.

Pros
1. It is just about and probably is the safest car on the road. Some 7 seaters safety systems sacrifice the last row of seats (andwhoever is sitting in them)!
2. It is great for big families, 7 seats up and still a fair sized boot, 5 seats up and massive boot.
3. Reliable, feels reassuringly well built
4. Not as expensive as people think, We got 30% off list after saying we were going to an internet broker
5. Its not got the 'nasty' 4x4 reputation of the other Chelsea Tractors. It's fair on fuel bearing in mind you're carrying a large family around, not got the frightening expensive road tax of the others, and is designed by really sensible Scandinavians so it doesn't squash other cars or pedestrians like the otthers in collisions.
6. Comfortable and easy to drive
7. Low depreciation

Cons
1. Can sometimes be hard to park, but you get used to spotting the big spaces and more and more places have parent & child spaces. Get the front and rear parking sensors.
2. Can't think of anymore

Our family of 5 have been to South of Frances twice, we took 2 kids bikes, a pram, nappies, food cos we were self catering, and all the other stuff and we didn't even use a roofbox. Even picked someone up at Bordeaux airport and squeezed them in as well!

Ponders Thu 17-Nov-11 23:15:23

Mazda5 is a great car but don't get diesel, it has issues

Hi, DC4 just turned 6months so have just had to make the same step change smile

We eventually opted to go LARGE big style and got a mercedes Tito.....six seats in the back and loads of boot space too, something you tend not to get with the standard 7 seater MPV. Also, the seats are on tracking so when we go camping we can shift the seats forward, take out the two extra and actually get all our gear in (and I'm not ainto basic camping!) without having to worry about a roof box.

I also find it really useful having a couple of extra seats so we can bring friends home for tea after school or take the grandparents out for the day with us.

It is essentally driving a large van so no good if you are worried about looks but once you get the nack of parking a bus it drives just like a car, has sliding door (which I would not be without) and has a nice high ride for checking out whats behind hedges and fences wink

for those with three - we used to have an old style citroen berlingo which was just lovely

Jane2012 Tue 03-Jan-12 13:10:30

I just paid £200 to secure my KIA SEDONA @ CARGIANT.... I heard wonderful and bad things about the car... can anyone give me a real summary about this particular car as I need to pick it up on friday. we been looking for a 7 seater car and we loved the space that AKI SEDONA offers, it looks like a great car and i dont want to regret buying it.....

sambageeni Tue 03-Jan-12 20:11:46

we have 3 kids and have a touran which I love. We are considering having a 4th but would need a bigger car as the seats in the boot are not proper seats. Avoid this car I would suggest!

I have the Chrysler Voyager 2.8 diesel. LOVE it. Very economical with fuel, DC are 18, 17, 15 and almost 3 and I usually have a couple of other stragglers in there too for good measure. Sliding doors are a godsend, as is the DVD player - recently moved back from Spain and it kept the small irksome urchin quiet for the entire length of Spain and France wink.

S5gbj Sun 15-Jan-12 00:10:43

Audi q7 way to go- big boot and 7 seats

Chocoholic69 Tue 17-Jan-12 21:47:58

SugaryTits?

mum6mum Mon 23-Jan-12 19:55:48

hi mum to 6 here , our grand senic was the best ! could fit my phil and ted in the boot with all the seats up and the big kids still ahd foot room in the back seats , we now have a BONGO ! smile

matronryan Sun 12-Feb-12 15:02:59

Planning to buy a galaxy but just seen the S-Max and am now unsure which to get. I have 4 boys - 6 - 11.
Does anyone know if the seats (and the leg room) is the same in both?

Thanks

SallyBear Sat 18-Feb-12 08:39:44

We have a Peugeot 807 and an S-Max. The S-Max is great as it feels like I am driving a car rather than a bus!! The 807 is great for us (4 kids), as it's a bit like being in the A Team bus, sliding doors and booting the twins out at secondary school!! The s-max still has a reasonable boot even with the third row of seats, but Ford are specific when they say that these are only suitable for children. My 12 yr. olds don't like the back row as there isn't masses of leg room, whereas the middle row has loads. We view the s-max has the second car and the 807 as the main car.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now